RSS on Mac and iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pit29, May 1, 2010.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi,

I used to read all my RSS feeds in Mail, but now there are so many that I guess I need a better solution. I'm just wondering what you guys are using? Ideally, I'd want a solution that can sync what I read on my (well, actually it's not an iPhone but an) iPod touch with an application on my MacBook Pro.
    Oh, and has there been any progress on the "syncing RSS with Mail" issue? The one thing that I like about using Mail for RSS is that I don't need to have another application open (or demon running) all the time... and I don't see me switching from Mail to another email client that may also do RSS a better way, since for strange reasons I like Mail a lot...

So, how do you do things?

Pit

2. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I use the free NetNewsWire, and I honestly can't find a better news reader for the Mac.

It has smart folders, 3 different feed views, refreshing on a per-feed basis, and can sync with Google Reader. Not to mention there's a free NetNewsWire app for the iPhone.

There is one small ad in the bottom corner, but it blends in so well, it's like it's not really there.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I too use Netnewswire, but got the paid version to get rid of the ads. Another free RSS app that syncs with Google is Gruml.

I have tried several RSS apps on the iPhone and settled on Reeder. Syncs with Google and is fast.

4. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

I've always just bookmarked feeds and subscribed to them in Safari, then i sync my bookmarks with my iPhone. Then i just go to the book mark and read them just the same as i do on my lappy.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a nice solution for a few feeds, but won't work very well when you follow over 50 like I do. Many people follow hundreds of feeds.