RSS on the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UKmacman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. UKmacman macrumors regular

Not sure which category this should be in but can someone answer this:

When you view RSS feeds on the iphone (or anything for that matter) how come some give you only a headline while others show the whole text?

For example engadget is great - you get most if not all of the text

Where as the BBC you only get a headline

Is there any way to get the whole text as an RSS feed. This is especially relevant when I use one of my downloaded RSS readers and I am on the tube (with no signal). I don't want to just read headlines.

Alternatively can people list the best RSS feeds that show all the text (news, sport, entertainment etc)

2. kgood macrumors newbie

I honestly think it dedends on the site. They choose to put some text and some choose to just put headlines forcing you to visit there web site basically.

In terms of RSS Readers. I just got a great one the other day. It is called "newsstand." The interface looks great, you can view in landscape mode and it puts the stories into a newspaper like format. It contains folders to organize your feeds and it loads your updated feeds very quickly (I found netnewswire to be slow in terms of that). It is $4.99 and it is probably the best app I've paid for. I use it constantly.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's up to the site as to how much text they put in the RSS feed. Some put the whole thing, other intentionally only put teasers to draw you into going to the site to read it.

In terms of RSS readers I'd recommend NetNewsWire. It's especially cool if you use the desktop version as well as your subscriptions and read/unread status of items sync between the two.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

+1 NetNewsWire. It's free and works well. I like the syncing between the iPhone and Desktop version. Though the iPhone is great for portability and ease of use (compared to other mobile devices), it's still easier to use a computer to browse RSS feeds and websites and it doesn't cut down on my battery life if I can use another machine instead of my iPhone.

5. UKmacman thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so which are the best news RSS sites that have more than just a headline in it?