Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I'm trying to figure out how to implement push notifications so that the user is notified when there is a new article in a RSS feed. I can't find any info online. I'm find lots of stuff about push notifications in general but nothing pertaining to RSS. Can anyone here offer any insight?

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I was just thinking that there would be something different for doing notifications for the articles in the feed. I figured the process for setting it up was essentially the same but that there would be something special I would have to do since I'm using an RSS feed.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Honestly, I'm not really sure. I was hoping to find something online where someone had done this with a particular feed. I was just assuming too much I guess.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Divide-and-conquer: Break your concern down into smaller components. List them out. Which are the components you are comfortable with tackling on your own and which ones are you seeking more guidance for?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I believe what you're getting at is you don't want to set up a server for push notifications. Last I checked (~October 2012), you have to. How your server discovers when new RSS articles are available is up to you.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I know I have to have a server set up. I'm just going to be using the server that the website with the RSS feed is hosted on. From what I can tell, the only thing I really have to set up on the server is the SSL cert. correct me if I'm wrong.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Push notifications are tied to an app. Whoever makes the app and puts it in the App Store is responsible for providing push notifications.

In this example, say you created MyRSSApp and distributed it on the App Store. As part of the process when the user sets up their feeds, the app would contact your server and tell it all the RSS feeds it was subscribed to. Your server would note those, check the feeds every so often, and then send a push notification to the correct iPhone when a new feed is available.

Push notifications are just tiny amounts of data, just to alert you to the fact there is some kinds of update or information that an app might be interested in, so suggests opening the app to find out.

If you're thinking that because you provide an RSS feed then you have to provide push notifications too, so that people subscribed to your feed can find out about new posts, this is incorrect. The creator of the app is in charge of t's push notifications.

Hope that helps.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I'm not wanting to use any of the services such as Urban Airship to handle my push notifications. I'm wanting to set up the server our web site is hosted on to look at the articles being added and when a new one is added with certain text in the title or a certain tag, send a notification to the devices about that article.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
From what I can tell, the only thing I really have to set up on the server is the SSL cert. correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you'll also be responsible for composing the notification package that includes the device token and the notification payload. You'll then need to send that package to the APNS.

You still haven't said what part of this whole process you are seeking guidance for.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I'm not wanting to use any of the services such as Urban Airship to handle my push notifications. I'm wanting to set up the server our web site is hosted on to look at the articles being added and when a new one is added with certain text in the title or a certain tag, send a notification to the devices about that article.

That's not how it works. I assume you're saying that you run a website, the website is updated with articles and you want to send push notifications to certain devices.

Unless you have an app that you've written, it doesn't work like that. Push notifications are tied to an app, and you have to have written the app in order for you to push notifications to it.

That's not to say something like growl wouldn't work in your situation, but it does look like you've got the wrong end of the stick with how push notifications work.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
is that to everybody who uses your application or just for yourself?

and there are free push notifications services out there as long as you fit within a certain threshold.

yeah, for my own use. I was thinking though that there were other services like it though, but yes, you pay.

RagingGoat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
That's not how it works. I assume you're saying that you run a website, the website is updated with articles and you want to send push notifications to certain devices.

Unless you have an app that you've written, it doesn't work like that. Push notifications are tied to an app, and you have to have written the app in order for you to push notifications to it.

That's not to say something like growl wouldn't work in your situation, but it does look like you've got the wrong end of the stick with how push notifications work.

I have an app in the store already. Some of the info in the app comes from the RSS feeds associated with my website. I'm wanting the users of the app to be notified of new articles in one of the feeds.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
OK, that makse sense now. If you want to do it yourself, have a look at this tutorial which should set you off.

Really the basic steps are as follows:

Get the app to register for push notifications with Apple. Apple gives them a token.
Get the app to send the token to you. Store it in a DB or something.
when you have a new feed, send the notification to all tokens in your db.

Also, do some periodic garbage collection and delete unused tokens by querying apple for the live ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.