RSS reader question

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by lillumultipass, Apr 4, 2011.

1. lillumultipass macrumors member

Dear all,

I am looking for an RSS reader with the following characteristics:

1. Syncs with Google Reader, and relatively fast if possible
    2. Allows to send to Read it later
    3. Allows to keep and see unread feeds for at least 1 month (something I can't seem to be able to do with goreader)
    4. Allows an easy access to all my starred items, preferably feed per feed
    5. A nice, colorful interface (I like GoReader in this respect, where for each feed you have the number of unread items in one color and the number of starred items in another color...)

For now, I have both Byline and Goreader and they both have pros and cons but I'd rather have a single RSS reader.
    Thanks!:D

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Reeder

3. lillumultipass thread starter macrumors member

Are you really sure it fulfills my "wish-list" or is it your personal preference?
    Because, to my knowledge, Reeder is far from having a colourful interface...

4. El3ctronics, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what you mean by "colorful interface" but it has all the functionality you're looking for. It's not a children's app that's going to have rainbow colors & images throughout (not sure why one would want that) but it will display any images from your feeds and will allow you to read in a clean, simple interface with plenty of functionality. It's by far the best RSS reader in the App Store.

5. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Here's an example of what it looks like...

Attached Files:

6. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I also think you'll be happy with Reeder.
    I advise you look at video reviews so you can make your own opinion but IMO, it's the best available.

7. lillumultipass thread starter macrumors member

Yeah sorry, I was not very precise. I didn't speak of the articles, but more of the laft-hand side of the app when in landcape mode: for instance, I like having a clear distinction between unread/read/starred items within a specific feed...I will post a picture of Goreader tonight to show what I mean...

I will check Reeder again then...

8. Pozz macrumors newbie

I bought reeder yesterday so I may be missing something, but the distinction between a read/unred item is a simple circle at the beginning of the feed, It also has a very grey color scheme (I especially find the grey text on different grey background hard to read, but maybe its just me). It does support send to read it later (and a crapton of other services!) and the sync is very fast tho.

9. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I have a question, does this save the entirety of the articles on the iPad? Like, if I subscribe to many feeds, is it possible to download the entire thing so I can read it while on an airplane or other non 3G or wifi place?

Flipboard and pulse seem to have this to some effect, but I have the impression they do not download the full articles, but the summaries only.

If this is possible with any free or paid rss reader, that would be awesome for me..

10. lillumultipass thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. Also, I don't really like the organization in stacks...
    finally, I have read that it has some sync issues with Google Reader, that may have been solved with the latest version...

11. Pozz macrumors newbie

There is no web page download that i know of, it will only save the feed (meaning that if the rss doesnt provide the full article you ll need an internet connection)

I dont like the stacks too but as long as you dont leave the article list view you can avoid those entirely :D

12. lillumultipass thread starter macrumors member

Well, I am trying the free version of Feedler, and it seems to fit my "wish list" for the moment. Have to try it a bit longer though to decided whether or not I buy the Pro version.

13. lillumultipass thread starter macrumors member

After a few days of use, I quite like Feedler but there is one thing that really irks me: the impossibility of browsing through my starred items in a folder. Unless I missed something, all the starred items are bundled together in one "starred item" folder, something I find really inefficient...but that may be just me...

14. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Feedler is my choice. Stable which many are not, imo