RSS Reader

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wilmichart, Apr 3, 2011.

1. wilmichart macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out which RSS reader to use for iphone 4. Have been experimenting with the free versions of Feeddler and MobileRSS which both seem great but wanting to upgrade to an advertisement free version that syncs with Google Reader.

Any thoughts?

2. russell1256 macrumors regular

I'm using Byline (because it downloads the entire article for offline reading), it;s the only app I've found that does that.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

+1

Byline has the best caching. I've tried them all, and no other app can beat Byline's caching. Trust me.

On iPad, I prefer Reeder though (only because its UI is very slick). But on iPhone, it's Byline all the way.

4. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Reeder is what I use on both my iPod Touch and iPad. Will investigate byline.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 and it is fast. Get Byline.

6. big samm macrumors 65816

Feeddler pro buddy!! No advertisement!! Works both on ipad and iphone4

Sent from my iPad 3G using Tapatalk

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I switched from Byline to Reeder on my iPhone and find the caching to be exactly the same. Add on the nicer UI of Reeder and I've basically stopped using Byline.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Funny you say that... I just went the opposite from Reeder to Byline. I agree caching and speed are about the same. I much preferred the look of Byline though. All that beige everywhere in Reeder always put me off. I see the Reeder dev is using that same beige look in the OS X Reeder app also. To each his own. :)

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup. I use this also. No complaints what so ever. Works on my iPhone and iPad. Great little app!

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

I've tried about a dozen different readers. In the end, Reeder is what I keep going back to. It's super fast, very stable, and unobtrusive. Inability to change sepia toned background and having to click tiny right arrow to see feeds within a folder individually are my only quibbles.

12. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I'm gonna challenge you:

In Reeder, download articles as usual. Switch on Airplane Mode to imitate you're underground with no reception. Then go to any article with an image. What do you see? That's right, you see a broken image. Wait a second! Didn't you let Reeder cache everything? That's exactly why I prefer Byline to Reeder.

13. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Challenge accepted. You mean like this?

Attached Files:

14. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I take the subway every single morning in NYC and before I get on, I download all my morning articles by caching them in Reeder. Images work perfect on it so not sure what you're talking about. Another example...

Attached Files:

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

Go to Settings app, then scroll down and click Reeder. Scroll down to Image Cachcing and change WiFi only to OFF to enable image caching over 3G.

16. russell1256 macrumors regular

Reeder Vs. Byline

I don't care about images, but I would like to know if Reeder really does download the whole article for offline reading. Anyone know?

17. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Yes it does. As mentioned, I use it every day in the NYC subway.

18. russell1256 macrumors regular

I bought Reeder, but it cache's only about half of the articles for offline reading, what am I doing wrong?

19. powpow macrumors member

I was under the impression that Reeder does NOT download the full offline cache of each page, but some in this thread say otherwise. I know when it was released it didn't support full offline caching, but maybe an update changed this...?? Anyone care to clarify?

Byline does cache the entire page and it works perfectly. I've been using Byline since it came out and it really is an amazing app, especially for commuters without internet. And no I'm not the developer.

Byline is the app I use most on my iPhone and iPad.

20. powpow macrumors member

Bump. Anyone know if Reeder now supports full offline caching?

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

For awhile now I have had many issues with most RSS readers.

I have many, many feeds in my RSS folder and the freezing issues seem to come up often on all of them

22. tj2001 macrumors regular

So who holds the champ title as best?

I too am curious on the consenus of which app holds best RSS reader position? I was testing Feedly and Byline. Byline just seems so bland compared to other options. Reeder I am curious about its caching abilities.

All in all I would like a RSS reader that possibly has desktop counter part, syncing with Google reader, and sleek looking.

So, who wins the bout of the best?

23. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think there really is a consensus what is best. Everybody has their personal preference.

I use Newsrack on iOS and there is a OS X version in the app store that works well on the desktop.

Reeder also has both an iOS and OS X version, although it is not my preference. The OS X version of Reeder feels like as iOS app ported to OS X.