RSS Readers on the Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dtrimble, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dtrimble macrumors member

I'm looking for recommendations for RSS readers on Mac OS X.

Please do NOT recommend I use Google Reader or NetNewsWire (the latter synchronizing with Google, of course).

I'm looking for something that has the following capabilities:

* Ability to organize feeds into nested folders (rules out Google Reader and therefore NetNewsWire)

* Ability to specify the frequency with which feeds are updated. I'm fine with the standard frequency of most readers, but there are a pretty large number of feeds I only need updated once or twice a day (mostly major news sites).

* Reasonable performance. It cannot choke on having 150-200ish feeds. (This rules out Vienna, which is painfully slow to update despite being a beautifully designed and naturally intuitive application).

* Preferably (not required), integrated support for posting to a blog (self-hosted Wordpress, specifically). I'd also love to have the kind of statistical tracking that Google Reader offers, but that's FAR from being a requirement.

What recommendations do folks have?

Dan

2. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

The brand new Vienna, released earlier this month, now grabs 20 feeds at a time rather than the old 10. Plus, it has many other speed upgrades. Did you try this new version?

3. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, no. I'd been using the latest revision of 2.3 as I didn't realize there was a 2.4 out.

I just downloaded it and will try it out with an open mind. But I must admit, although I believe Vienna is just a bit shy of being the best RSS client on the Mac, it's seemed to have a lot of issues that its developers have failed to address quickly enough. But maybe this version will change things...

4. juliainor macrumors member

Have you tried Gruml? It's still beta, but I've been using it for a week or so and am very happy with it.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

how can you turn down Google Reader so RUTHLESSLY ????! you hurt my feelings :p

6. atmenterprises macrumors regular

Gruml is very nice and I hadn't heard of it before. Just downloaded it and I can't believe how well this works, despite being in beta. Thanks for the tip.

7. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

You don't have to sync with Google when you use NetNewsWire. Just choose "Don't Sync" on the initial greetings window(Where you enter your Google credentials"