RSS Screensaver time+date

Discussion in 'macOS' started by prograham, Oct 10, 2008.

1. prograham macrumors member

prograham

Does anyone know where the RSS Screensaver (the text one) gets it's time and date info from? Mine will only say December 31, 2000.

And that just really doesn't look right with an "up to the minute" RSS feed...

2. prograham thread starter macrumors member

prograham

bump

Aww, c'mon, nobody knows this?

My system time and date are correct, my dhcp server has correct time and date, so I'm stumped here.

3. jumanjijuice macrumors newbie

4. prograham thread starter macrumors member

prograham

Hey thanks for the reply! I never could find a thread as good as that one on Apple's site.

In regards to this issue - I found that it was the URL I was putting into the screen saver option which was the culprit. For instance, at my company, I wanted our RSS feed to be the ss for all the computers. I would put in the URL of http://www.scribemedia.org/category/briefsNews/feed/ and then the date was always December 31, 2000.

The way I picked that URL was simply by going to our homepage, and in the URL window of the browser I would click on the RSS feed icon. This of course would send me to the RSS subscription page which I thought was the URL I should put into the ss system preferences.

But it wasn't the right URL.

Only through trial and error did I find that if I replaced the word "feed" with the word "rss" in the URL, would the time and date be correct. Hence, now all the computers are set to have their RSS ss pull from the URL of http://www.scribemedia.org/category/briefsNews/rss/.

I don't really understand RSS feeds (obviously), subscribing to them often seems to involve some sort of strangeness if I'm not doing it through a web browser.

But in any case, thanks for the post, I wish I could have replied on Apple's site as well but the thread has been archived and no replies are allowed.

As a note, I went to ABC's site and tried to get one of their RSS feeds to properly display time and date in my ss, but again the URL I come to when clicking on their "RSS Feeds" link is not the one I need for my ss. Just as it was doing for my company, I can see all the lastest stories but the date is December 31, 2000. And I could not get the correct URL from trial and error guessing for them.