RSS with both iPhone and OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kinkster, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Iv never used RSS before and don't really know where to start. Most of my reading will be on OSX but Id like to occasionally read the same feeds from my iPhone.

What should I get?

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

3. str1f3 macrumors 68000

My recommendation is to use Google Reader for the Mac and Byline/Feeds for the iPhone. Google pretty much owns the market on RSS so you you won't find an alternative that supports both.

You can use NetNewsWire which is free for both the iPhone and Mac but the Mac version does have ads under the newest beta and the iPhone version is limited in features. NetNetNewsWire is in the midst of switching to Google Reader so use the beta.

4. devburke Guest

Newest Mac version doesn't have ads right now. They were there for the first beta, but the dev decided that until he releases a way to get rid of them (paid version), there won't be any ads. The iPhone version either isn't done or hasn't been through the App Store approval yet, because the version available is still the old one, which only syncs with NewsGator Online, NOT Google Reader. So at this point I'm using NNW and the Google Reader mobile interface. But the iPhone version has apparently been completely revamped (or is in the process of being revamped) and once it's updated to sync with Google Reader, I'll be going with that.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

Google Reader is by far the best and because it's a web app it's easy to put on both OSX and iPhone. On the iPhone just log into it and then add it to the home screen. Works very nicely. On OSX, get Fluid and google for a Google Reader icon and you can roll a nice application for the dock.

6. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Shrook is not too bad. It has an iPhone version that stays synched with your Mac when you set up a Shrook account.

7. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

The problem with the NNW beta is that it only pulls 20 articles from each feed and you can't view starred articles. I can't find another OSX RSS app that syncs with Google Reader, so I'm stuck with the NNW beta and all its limitations. The iPhone is another story. Feeds/Byline both work great and they download all the articles from each feed.

8. Emmanuel macrumors newbie

Use Google Reader

I just LOVE Google Reader. It's the thing that made me get into RSS. It runs as a web app, but it's very, very functional and it works with all of the popular browsers.

On the iPhone/iPod touch side, they have made a web app that works really well for people with big fingers, like me. Then you could just add a web clip and it will feel a lot like a native app.

Google Reader is awesome, put simply.

http://www.google.com/reader