RSS with Google Reader support?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bunger, May 17, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I know that the upcoming v1.1 of Early Edition is supposed to support Google Reader feed imports ( not syncing though ), but was wondering if there are any existing ipad news apps that support Google Reader?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Feed Hopper, supports it well and the app is great.

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I also just found that Feedler and Newsrack support it as well...

any others and which is considered the "best?"

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have used NewsRack and NetNewswire extensively. NewsRack is my current favorite. I had one or two issues with NetNewswire that made me switch to NewsRack and I have been happy since. Both of these apps work great with Google Reader.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does NewsRack support folders? I miss that on Google Reader most. The Early Edition is a beauty but I want folder support and google reader support. The fact that I still have to manually provide the feed URL is a PITA. It should allow me to go to the site itself and scan for a viable RSS feed.

6. smotheredhope macrumors regular

Newsrack in conjunction with instapaper is the greatest tandem on the iPad. And yeah it supports folders.

7. PerfectCr macrumors regular

Wait for REEDER. Best rss google reader on the iphone. Dev said it's coming to the ipad soon.

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I ended up staying with newsrack over feedhopper, but they're both very similar and I think feed hopper is cheaper.

I'm such a total nerd now that I'm using newsrack for "serious"/tech feeds and daily edition for my trashy celeb/entertainment/tv news. I suppose I might use daily edition more if it had google reader support.

9. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

I jaust bought newsrack and so far have mixed feelings - definitely ot as "pretty" as Early Edition, but I think I just need to play with more.

The one thing i can't figure out is how to mark all feeds as read instead of having to go through each one. Is that possible with new rack?

10. patrikr macrumors member

+1 for NewsRack, use it every day and has been rock solid for me.

You can mark all as read by clicking on the "Unread" selection (it's always the first one) and then clicking on the checkmark at the bottom of the pane.

11. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Another + 4 Newsrack and Instapaper. Been using them both on my iPad and love them both. It would take a lot to get me away from them. I'm very pleased with both. A must have in my opinion.

12. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Can someone please explain to me how/why you are using Instapaper? My understanding is that is saves pages for offline reading, so are you saving the articles and then reading them on a wi-fi iPad when away from a wireless connection?

13. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Yes and No, yes u can see articles from NewsRack and select to read it later by saving to Instapaper but you can also do the same from any web browser and it will be available to read on the iPad or iPhone when u do have the time

It's seamless and works great. My WiFi iPad does not always have a connection and it's nice to have full articles available during those blackouts.

It really does work great. iPhone, iPad or Desktop.

14. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

So it wouldn't really make sense if the iPad always has a connection, right? I guess I am just trying to understand how I might use it....

Ps. Thx for the help with marking feeds as read!

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me one thing feedhopper has over the early edition is the offline reading. The early edition requires network connectivity every time.

16. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Hmm I hadn't thought about that (never tried to use it offline). It's definitely more of an always-changing "snapshot", I think that's part of why I relegated it to "tabloid" duties.

I tend to use Instapaper only for long articles I want to keep indefinitely without wasting browser bookmark space, not so much for offline.

17. PhillStew macrumors member

18. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Actually that is how I use it also. I do use it for off-line things a little bit but tend to use it more for long articles to keep as reference over time, where in the past I would have made a bookmark.

Bookmark management sigh.......... :)

19. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting... so it sounds like a lot of you use Instapaper as a repository for articles-to-read instead of having to bookmark everything. Does instapaper save images and other media content from the article, or just the text?

20. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Instapaper saves just the text although thee an option to open the full page. I use readitlater which defaults to the full page.

21. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Saving to Instapaper via newsrack seems to save the first article image.

22. MikhailT macrumors 601

Nope, they do come with images. My articles via Chrome's Instapaper are saved with the images. It depends on how the web sites are set up, there are a few web sites that doesn't get read properly by Instapaper's text mobilizer.