rsync and iPhoto files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mysterytramp, Dec 28, 2009.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I hope this is easy.

I want to use rsync to backup my iPhoto library. It's easy for rsync to see the library as a directory and copy files. However, it creates a folder in the destination. Is there anyway for rsync to preserve the bundle that is actually what the iPhoto library is?

mt

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's probably in how you put together the command. Post what you tried. It's generally if you add or leave out the tailing / of the path.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Rsync should work just fine. The iPhoto Library bundle is just a directory. You can navigate into it just like a folder from the Terminal window.

-Aaron-

4. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Here's what I used:

Code:
    rsync -vri /Volumes/Scrapbook/Pictures/ /Volumes/'My Passport'/backuptest

I had forgotten the trailing "/".

mt

EDIT: Just did another test. Even with the extra slash, rsync creates an iPhoto Library folder, not a bundle. Not a huge deal, I know, but if I ever need to recreate the library, I'll need it to be a bundle, no?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I see what you're saying now. I didn't realize iPhoto was using bundle packages. As far as rsync is concerned it's just a folder. I'm not sure if any of the many arguments may treat it differently. One solution though if you need to restore from a backup is to right click on the iPhoto Library folder icon and choose Show Contents. This will give you a folder view and you can copy in your backup files into it to restore to a previous version. It's similar to how you can open a .app file to show contents and edit files.

6. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp