Rsync Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamindaines, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I'm thinking of setting up a scheduled backup with Rsync and iCal, but I have a few questions.
    One, can Rsync be set up to do a "smart backup" where it only copies the files that have been added or updated since the last back up? Or will it have to erase the drive and copy everything over again?

Two, if I run a back up of my entire internal drive it will be bootable correct? Then to restore after a hard drive crash or something I can boot into the command line (Command + S at boot) and copy everything back onto the internal drive? If that is the case what command would I use, just rsync but switch the directories around?

--Thanks.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

RSync is wonderful because it is "smart", as you say. It only copies over what has changed. That way, after the initial backup, the next ones are quite small most of the time.

If you RSync your entire drive, then as far I know it would be bootable.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

RSyncX has an option for a bootable image, so it seems that it is indeed possible. I've never used that feature.

4. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

How do I make rsync run under sudo without having it as me for my password? Is there a way to have my script put in the password for me?

My Script:
    Code:
    diskutil mount /dev/disk2s3;
    sudo rsync -aE --delete "/" "/Volumes/BackUp/";
    diskutil unmount /dev/disk2s3

When running under standard user it comes to a lot of the hidden system folders and fails to open them (not enough permissions), but will bring everything over when running under sudo user.