Rsync to Goodreader

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by AndyMulhearn, Jun 12, 2010.

1. AndyMulhearn macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    I sue Goodreader on my iPad to read material for the course I'm doing at the moment and thought this may be of use.

If you turn on wireless sharing in Goodreader you can map a network share on a mac to your iPad using the instructions here

If you then drop into the OSX Terminal, you can use this command to synchronise your home directory to your iPad:

rsync -avzu --progress --delete --omit-dir-times --exclude '.DS_Store' /Users/<Your Home>/Documents/ /Volumes/<ip address>/

Where <Your Home> is the root of your home directory and <ip address> is the address of your iPad you used to map the network share.
  2. MikhailT macrumors 601

Nov 12, 2007
    You can also use dropbox if you want access to it from other computers or online. Just use dropbox for ipad to open it in GoodReader to load it there.

The latest 2.8 update made Goodreader even more better. Love the smooth paging along with the automatic crop feature.
  3. AndyMulhearn thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2006
    I tried dropbox but as I use rsync to keep a mirror of my home directory on my iDisk, dropbox would be a duplication.

I saw that. Some of the software coming to the iPad is getting some serious functionality and it's becoming more and more useful to me.
  4. flodo macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2011
    change timestamp of file?

Very valuable post! Has anyone experience with changing the time stamp of a file on IPad. I'd like to keep my original timestamp when copying files to the iPad. Thanks.