Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Hi all.

I'm looking for some suggestions for good RTS or strategy games for OS X (or even iOS). I'm not into the recent fad of run and game ultra-fast strategy games like Command and Conquer and Starcraft. I'm much more interested in more moderately paced games that let you build your forces and civilatization over time.

Thoughts?

Rhei

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
It sounds like you would like something along the Civilization series possibly. Total War as mentioned earlier as great as well. Both are turn based strategy games, but Total War has the added benefit of being a tactical game when your armies clash, which I personally like.

Something that may be up your alley as well is Sins of a Solar Empire. There are no objectives per se, other than build your space empire and destroy the other guy before he destroys you. I'm fairly certain it can be run through Wine or something similar as well.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Total War

Do those games have base building or is it just units?

There's a turn-based strategic map, where you control your cities (think bases) and move your armies. When your army bumps into an opposing force, you're taken to a real time battle map. The battle maps are 3D and show terrain features (forest, desert, shoreline, city streets, etc.) that effect the battle.

A typical strategic turn will take from 5 to 15 minutes, a battle can take about from 10 to 20 minutes.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2011
Along with those already suggested, maybe give these try:

Age of Empires 2 & 3, inc. both expansion packs for latter.
Age of Mythology.
Rise of Nations.

IMO, all timeless classics. Another plus is, all were ported in proper Mac-native code.

I own Rise of Nations. It will probably run flawlessly on any 2009 Mac up, and the gold edition is really diverse, even the standard. It's a great game that allows for MASSIVE, I mean 1000+ vs 1000+ figure battles that are well animated, and that have strong economic points to gameplay as well...

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
I've wasted many an hour on Rise of Nations Gold. Not turn-based, but has a lot to the game. There are quick battles and a few global campaigns, different ages, terrain, map sizes, numbers of opponents, ways to win victory (not just straight out destruction, could be economic, wonder points, etc.), as well as about 16 different nations to play as each with its own advantages and special units.

You could get bored of the game, but there's no finishing it. I used to like to set it at 3 computer opponents, all random nations (my nation random, too), large map, and random-type. Great game.

As far as what will play it? Most of my RoNG gaming was on my 12" PowerBook 1.5 w/ 1284 RAM. Some on my 2.2 BlackBook w/ the x3100. Both handled it easily.
Basically, anything in the last 5 years should play it fine, I would think.

Cheers.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
StarCraft and C&C are recent fads? :confused:;)

Lethal

*puts on his history teacher hat*

C&C was released in 1995 and Starcraft was released in 1998 so they are only 12 to 16 years old. ;)

The first C&C game is widely considered as the title which originally defined and popularized the entire real-time strategy (RTS) genre, you could call it the grandfather of all RTS games that have been released since. All the games listed like AOE, Rise Of Nations all all much much newer games that came after C&C :)

You could argue that Dune 2 was the beginning but having played both games at the time I agree with the commonly held belief that C&C was the polished article that really made RTS games take off and Dune 2 was what inspired C&C.

Edwin

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.