Rubber Feet on rMPB15 melting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MishalGunner, Jul 25, 2013.

1. MishalGunner macrumors newbie

Hey

I have a rMBP 15, and due to the heat, the rubber feet are melting a little bit - one of the feet fell out (the other 3 are slightly mis-shapen but okay)

I contacted my apple store, and they advised that Apple does not provide the rubber feet, and that I would have to change the whole bottom panel, and it is not covered under warranty.

1. The screw below the rubber foot is exposed, is there any risk?
    2. What other solutions can be provided?
    3. How can I replace one single rubber foot without changing the whole bottom panel. It is evident that this issue has been caused by heat as the other "feet" are misshapen and look like they'll fall out.

I have been using apple products for a decade, and this is my first real issue (touch wood), but the solution seems absurd to me.

There has to be a better way.

Please help!

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd be more worried that your laptop is running so hot that the rubber is melting. I think you and apple is missing the issue, don't focus on the symptom but rather issue.

Get iStat Pro or istat Menus to see what your temps are and then contact apple - just my $.02

3. MishalGunner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Apple had my laptop for a day and said that while it is hot, it's within the accepted boundaries, and that the feet could be weak due the place I live (Dubai, extremely hot), and that it will not be covered under warranty, and that the laptop is working within its limitations

Apple service in the East is a joke, and now I'm stuck with a "footless" laptop. The Apple store advised me next time I'm in the west, to take it to an Apple shop and get it done under warranty (totally unfeasible).

They have said that there is nothing more they can do for me here.

4. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

5. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

It is possible to attach the rubber (or rubber replacement) with superglue - I do not know if that will affect the warranty, because they are going to replace the bottom panel anyway, so do this only if you have no doubts

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

we use our macs in hot countries as well. Temperatures in summer reach 45c here and we have no issues with our macs even if its used in a non ac room.
    The feet can come out if it bushes with something on your desk. Or it wasnt glued properly.
    A replacement bottom panel will be blank and not contain your serial number.
    Even my retina gets pretty warm when doing some intensive work around the feet on the top portion.
    Try speaking with apple care to see what they say, do state you have used a lot of macs in the same country and have not had an issue until now. They respect a polite customer, also a loyal customer.

7. CHMK macrumors regular

to be honest, i really dont see how living in a hot place like dubai can really affect the rubber feet melting, i mean apple surely would have taken this into account, if ur laptop is melting due to its internals, then u should make a complaint... in the west, its not under warranty either.

i see it all depends on the apple store u are in. i live in china and the apple store people cant be bothered to discuss the problem in depth with u they just replace the plate after about a minute of discussing ur problem. fyi, its not THAT expensive to replace the plate, its about 100usd, and can i suggest instead getting some stick on rubber feet from a supermarket or whatever as an alternative... that or buy a case. they really should not be melting on ur own fault, maybe really argue with the apple store peeps and subtly hint that u will call customer service if u are not satisfied, which somehow always seems to scare them :)

8. MishalGunner, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013

MishalGunner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone else for your useful tips

I myself am skeptical about the heat causing the melting (if any heat has caused melting, it's the thermonuclear temps on my rMBP) - this is just what the apple "genius" told me at the local Apple shop.

I've ordered a fully loaded 11" Air today - loved the Retina, but I think it needs a couple of years to be a truly great laptop. The wife will inherit it.

9. CHMK macrumors regular

what if the same thing happens to ur air? i have a retina and whilst it is true that it gets a bit hot, most other macs get even hotter, with an unpleasant loud fan noise. do u also not think itd be difficult adjusting to a non retina screen? i know id find it tough

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Nope, your Retina is simply defective, the is likely a production issue or the system is reaching extreme temperatures due to poor assembly. My own Retina has no issue with temperature and it too is exposed to very high ambient temperatures. Send a email to the CEO if needs be do not be dissuaded, personally when I pay for premium product I expect exactly that, and support service to equal.

The very last thing I would be doing is ordering another product from Apple until this issue is satisfactorily resolved.....

11. MishalGunner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Trying to get this sorted...

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Case of bad rubber.

No pun intended but the rubber is no good. *Wink*