Rubber "Feet" Under AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bunnspecial, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have a 13" MBP(late 2011) that I bought in the spring of 2012 and thus is still under AppleCare until the end of next April.

In the past week, I have lost two of the rubber "feet" on the bottom of the computer-the first about a week ago, and the second this morning. This is the first time in two and a half years that I've had an issue with this.

I was in the Apple store earlier this week for an unrelated issue(charger) and mentioned something to the Genius I was working with about having(at the time) the one replaced. He indicated that even under Applecare, it would be a $10/foot charge to have them replaced.

This is directly contrary to the information on this page

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5236

I didn't press the issue, as I was short on time, but am wondering if this is a policy change or if I just need to talk to a different Genius.

Does anyone have any other, more current information on this?

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

If you have AppleCare, a call to the AppleCare support line is free. I would make that call.

3. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

This is wrong I had all my feet replaced for free

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I just got off the phone with Applecare, after being on hold for ~20 minutes.

I was initially told that there was a charge to replace the feet, then directed the representative toward the page I linked in my OP. He initially was going to send me the DIY replacement kit for free, but spent about 10 minutes consulting with a supervisor.

The ultimate resolution was that the webpage I referenced stated that the feet "may" be replaced under Applecare, but it would depend on whether it was wear and tear or falling off due to glue(I think the latter, as both feet simply fell off completely intact). In any event, I was told that it would need to be evaluated by a Genius, who would have to make that determination and would decide whether I was charged or not for the replacement.

My inclination at this point is to see if I can find the exact Loctite CA adhesive that's specified in the replacement kit, and use that to reattach the feet that have fallen off myself...

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I just super-glued mine back on, there is more to worry about in life.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

My feet fell off too. The plastic form thingy underneath was all dried up and broke apart from the heat. I tried using tacky glue but that barely held on. The feet were expanded and kept popping out of the hole.

I just got rid of them(i lost one anyway) and I used these bumpers instead. They are SoftTouch by Waxman brand. The large regular bumpers fit perfectly in place. The soft bumpers also fit perfectly in my keyboard I use for my MBP. It's like these bumpers were designed for my MBP :D and they look nice.

7. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

I would just go with the DIY kit. For the relatively small cost of the items, it's just way too much of a hassle to argue with the "geniuses." My time is way more valuable than that, but that's just me.

I wouldn't worry too much about the adhesive that should be used either. Just go to Home Depot and pickup some rubber cement or something. If unsure, bring one of the feet with you and talk to a salesperson there. Tell them you want to glue it to a piece of metal, and they should be able to help you find something that will do the job.

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

Sadly most apple "geniuses" are amazingly uninformed. You should hear some of the advice I've heard them give to others before. They are usually not much more knowledgable than your typical best buy salesperson. I took my frayed power cord in under the replacement program ( still under apple care). The genius tried to get me to pay 90 bucks for the new one. When I showed him the link on their own website he went to see his manager and when he came back he told me "we made an exception for you in this case, but next time you'll have to pay the full price". Obviously no exception was made...apple states it pretty clearly on their website and my issue matched the description perfectly, he was just trying to save face I guess. Anyways the moral of the story is to take what your told in the apple store with a grain of salt and do your own research, you'll be surprised what you can get out of it.