rubber fell out on HDD swapping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shiunn, Jun 6, 2009.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi ppl,
    Please help me out on this one.
    As I was taking out my hard disk from my macbook (which I've done a few times uneventfully), during this last time, the screw caught on something. Long story short, this piece of rubber came out:

[​IMG]

There is another piece in there, still in place. I think they hold the hdd in place, and reduce shock when I move the macbook around. So, with this missing, I'm not sure how much damage it'll do. Problem is, I don't know how to put it back.

Question. Can the genius ppl fix it? Have I voided warranty by exchanging hdd? An unrelated question, have I voided warranty by using 3rd party memory?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Here's the ifixit guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Hard-Drive-Replacement/514/1 - white MB

Replacing the hard drive will not void the warranty, unless you damage something due to replacing.
    I don't know, if you voided the MB with your action, as something fell out while you were replacing the HDD, but it's worth a try.

Sooner or later, someone here will chime in, an tell you what you're holding in your hands.

3. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not looking for a guide to replace the HDD. I've replaced the HDD a few times already.
    but thanks for replying!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I know, you weren't looking for a guide, I just thought maybe you could recognize something in the guide, that would help you finding out what fell out.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I had one do the same thing. I just cut a piece off the rubber part that came out and wedged it in enough to get a grip when removing and provide some shock protection. I'm surprised more people haven't run into this problem since it did seem to come off pretty easily. My MB had been running just fine without it for over a year now.

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

the rubber has lost its stickness...so I can't seem to get any grip at all
    Can i send it in to the genius people to fix it? Will it actually get me into trouble?