Rubber Mounts on Hard-drive [MacBook]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bakey, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Hi there folks,

I've just picked up my "fixed' MacBook from the local Apple Store and consequently swapped out the original hard-drive for the one I use on a daily basis [I performed the swap prior to dropping it off as I didn't want to run the risk of data loss, etc.]

The "problem" was the cracked case syndrome, anyway...

Thing is, on pulling out the original hard-drive along with it came the rubber mounts on both the left and right hand side of the drive -- this clearly shouldn't have happened!!

So, the real question is... Is it a massive problem if the rubber mounts aren't in place? Or should I do the right thing and head back to the Apple Store and have the folks see it's put right?

Thanks in advance... ;)

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The rubber mounts make sure that the Harddrive is held safely in place when you transport it and also keep vibrations to a minimum. I can most certainly condole getting an appointment with a genius and taking it there. It should be a 5 second job.

Btw: If the rubbermounts are the same rubbermounts that I am thinking about, why not just buy screws that fit and then screw them in yourself? That would take a lot less time.

Also very bad repair from Apple's part...

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i had that exact same thing happen.

i think you should take it in, as there's no way i could figure out how to get those stinken things back on without taking the case apart, which will void your warrenty.

and i've been told that it's fairly important to have those mounts in there to protect the harddrive.

4. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the rapid responses... I'm heading back into Meadowhell this coming Wednesday, so will endeavor to head back to the Apple Store at the same time.

Kinda figured the rubber mounts are there for a reason; so with that in mind I should get them to whack 'em back into their rightful place!! :D

5. NOW4REAL954 macrumors newbie

rubber mounts on hard drive

hey i was wondering what happened when you went back to the apple store to have them fix the rubber hard drive guilds?

as i just had them mess up on me and am curious if they were able to fix it for you?

thank you

6. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

The guys at the Genius Bar took my Mac Book from me and after an hour or so later of shopping I popped back in and collected it. Free gratis due to the previous case repair having been performed under warranty.

If I remember rightly, they opened up the lower case and mounted the rubber mounts with sticking strips - apparently at manufacture a glue gun of somekind is used to keep them in-place, and this "gun" isn't given out to the support staff, etc.

The only problem is, I'm kind of guessing that I would struggle upgrading the drive any further now as the mounts are likely to come out again - although to be fair this is the second hard-drive upgrade I've performed. I went from 80 to 160(ish) and then upto 250. So, fingers crossed I'll not need to upgrade again.

Hope this helps! ;)

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Just put them back in. Mine did it on my 2 year old MB, but just place them in, press them against the side, and put the drive in. Takes a time or two to do it, but it will work.

You could also just glue them in, I am sure they are glued in at the factory and just come undone with the heat.