Rubik's Cube-like upgrade path.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dezeinstein, Jun 9, 2009.

1. dezeinstein macrumors member

Okay, I'm asking here first before I ask Apple and/or AT&T. If anyone can figure this out, I will buy him or her a cookie.

I have a 3G purchased in October 2008 after dropping/smashing my 2G purchased on release day. On the same account I have my son's crappy free phone, which is currently eligible for the $199/$299 3GS upgrade with a new 2-year contract.

My wife has a 2G purchased in December 2007.

I would like to: Upgrade my son's phone to the 3GS and use it, but with my current 3G telephone #. I would like to give my wife my 3G (and have her keep her #) and give my son HER 2G (and keep his #). Is this possible? Can the sim cards simply be swapped? I'm thinking the 2G and 3G sim cards are probably not compatible.

Again - cookie for whoever solves this. Chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin.

Thanks!
    D

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I want my cookie:Chocolate Chip please.

Buy a 3GS on any line on your Family Plan, make that the lowest plan possible, switch your SIM to that phone, give your 3G to your wife, and give your 2G to your son.
    Activate all within iTunes, and for 3G/2G it will switch the plans accordingly.

Your phone number is stored on your SIM card, not on the actual device.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

4. dezeinstein thread starter macrumors member

*Cookie will be delivered upon completion of said upgrade. Please check with your local and state authorities to obtain appropriate cookie requisition forms. Offer void in AK, AZ, GA, TX or any other red state. Cookie eaters may or may not be eligible for cookie upgrade based upon amount of time left in cookie contract. Dark chocolate chip support coming in late summer.