Rubrics for determining storage and speed needs on MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

My wife is deciding on a 13" MBA configuration for her upcoming MBA coursework. 8gb of ram seems obvious. Are there any good guides or rules of thumb to best determine space or speed needs? She plans on using mostly Internet and MS office (maybe onenote which will require her to constantly run fusion or parallels). She won't be storing any music or video on it. Is a 256gb hard drive enough?

She tends to never restart her current windows laptop and prefers to instead hibernate/suspend until they become too slow and unstable at which point a restart is required. Because of this, should she consider getting the faster 1.7 Ghz over the 1.3 processor?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

1. 128BG maybe even enough.

2. No problem. I7 not needed but it if makes you feel better...

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt the processor speed will make any difference. It usually only shows up if you are doing stuff like video encode/decode or stuff like FCP.

4. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Is 128gb useable if fusion or parallels will be used?

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That depend on how much software you'll be installing on either side (OS X or Windows, or both). 128GB with two operating systems will definitely get crowded, though you can mitigate this somewhat with a USB 3.0 external hard drive (while sacrificing portability).

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I went with 512 gb SSD to give some space to grow.

7. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Rubrics?

Buy what you can afford. Worst case you have what you don't need, as opposed to not having what you do need.