Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I'm very new to the ruby on rails stuff, and i'm having a problem accessing the console. I've tried googling, but couldn't find anything that explained how to fix it. I've got ruby 1.8.2 installed (the universal binary version). I'm on a macbook. I'm a kind of stuck, so if anyone could offer their advice, i'd appreciate it.

Barry-Abrams-Macbook:~/rubydev/moviecritic barry$ script/console
Loading development environment.
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10:in `require': No such file to load -- readline (LoadError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in `load_modules'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in `each'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in `load_modules'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:21:in `setup'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb.rb:54:in `start'
from /usr/bin/irb:13

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
I downloaded ruby gems from rubygems.rubyforge.org, then went:

tar xzf rubygems-0. {whatever the version # was}
cd rubygems{folder}
sudo ruby setup.rb

sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

As far as I can tell, the rest of ruby & rails works. I'm able to set up models & scaffolding, and have it interact with my mysql database.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I downloaded ruby gems from rubygems.rubyforge.org, then went:

tar xzf rubygems-0. {whatever the version # was}
cd rubygems{folder}
sudo ruby setup.rb

sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies

As far as I can tell, the rest of ruby & rails works. I'm able to set up models & scaffolding, and have it interact with my mysql database.

So you never setup Ruby itself? If you are using the default Ruby install that comes with Tiger, it didn't include readline. Good luck with the reinstall

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
So you never setup Ruby itself? If you are using the default Ruby install that comes with Tiger, it didn't include readline. Good luck with the reinstall

I guess not. I did it directly from a book (Beginning Ruby on Rails, Steven Holzner), which doesn't seem to be worth what i paid for.

I'm somewhat new to working with the terminal. Should I uninstall my current installation or just install over the old installation?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I guess not. I did it directly from a book (Beginning Ruby on Rails, Steven Holzner), which doesn't seem to be worth what i paid for.

I'm somewhat new to working with the terminal. Should I uninstall my current installation or just install over the old installation?

Well the default ruby install is /usr and the new install will be in /usr/local - so no uninstall is necessary. Take note of the step where you modify the PATH env variable - thats what will allow you to use the newer version instead of the default.

I got to imagine that someone has simplified this process, but haven't bother looking since this was linked to right out of ADC at http://developer.apple.com/tools/rubyonrails.html

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Reinstalling with the tutorial provided seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for all your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.