"ruby" process takes up 100% cpu???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iphong, Jul 29, 2009.

1. iphong macrumors member

iphong

It's starting to make me very mad here. I was just trying to enjoy my web browsing before sleep, and my Macbook Pro gets hot as hell. I looked at the processes activity and see ruby is taking up all the cpu cycle, together with syslogd (ruby:97%, syslogd: 37%). I force quit it, it comes right back, restart computer and as soon as I log in the fans boost up, and the laptop is hot again.

Somebody know if what is it doing? and can I stop it?

Thanks

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  3. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

I don't think I can uninstall it. It's a system process I think!!!

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    What do you mean? What the hell is Ruby? It's gotta be a 3rd party extension, no? :confused:

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Ruby is a programming language which is installed by default.

If this is the same Ruby then I have no clue what could cause it to take up so much CPU, from simple browsing alone.

Maybe try rebooting.

6. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

Actually the syslogd daemon is using ruby to do it's dirty work, when I quit syslogd, the ruby stops, but then syslogd comes right back and boost ruby up to 100% again. :confused:

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Though I'm not familiar with the workings of the syslogd, try restarting.

8. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

as i said in my first post restarting didn't help

9. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Is it running as root?
    There's a few cases where Ruby has been using a large percentage of CPU. My thoughts on the solution is reinstalling ruby. It's located in /usr/bin and I found this How to compile and install ruby 1.9.1 on Mac OS X Leopard.

10. dzhim macrumors newbie

Don't do that: this isn't Ruby's fault. Search Google for "syslogd" and you'll find several reports of it running amok on OS X. But it isn't syslogd's fault either! It's just a background task for logging, so it only does anything when another process wants something logged.

Run /Applications/Utilities/Console.app, select "All Messages", and see what shows up. You might have a bajillion messages recently, from the same sender. If so, that sender is the culprit.

11. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

I looked at the sender there are like million of messages from pcast[192] and com.apple.pcastuploader_agent[192]. They have the same ID so I assume they are the same. Is that from Podcast Producer?

12. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

here is the log file.

Attached Files:

13. dzhim macrumors newbie

It looks like it. Can you disable Podcast Producer and see if your CPU gets a breather?

I'm not familiar with that software, so my advice here isn't likely to be very specific :). But Podcast Producer obviously seems to be confused for some reason... is it working properly otherwise? Since it appears to be trying to upload files, is there a way you can have it show you a list of any pending uploads and cancel them? What happens if you remove ~/Library/Application Support/pcastuploader/? (I wouldn't suggest deleting that directory, at least right away, but it's probably safe to move it away, for example to the desktop.)

14. iphong thread starter macrumors member

iphong

It's really affecting my work so I had to reformat the hard drive, and reinstall Leopard. I don't have a lot of stuff on there, it's just my work station, so it doesn't bother me that much.

I have only used Podcast producer like once long time ago when I tried to setup my Leopard Server on other machine. I really didn't do anything much that time, and haven't touched it since then.