Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I thought both teams were evenly matched, however still think it should of been England who won, that disallowed try was clearly OK, and that would of changed the game dramatically.

Regardless of how the refs are cheats (both Irish) and how the South Africans played dirty a couple of times, England is only No. 2 in the world, and that's a lot better than Australia/New Zealand at 7/8.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Regardless of how the refs are cheats (both Irish) and how the South Africans played dirty a couple of times, England is only No. 2 in the world, and that's a lot better than Australia/New Zealand at 7/8.

World rankings don't have much to do with this tournament... if the All Blacks had played England at any point in the campaign, they probably would have beaten them.

http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
World rankings don't have much to do with this tournament... if the All Blacks had played England at any point in the campaign, they probably would have beaten them.

Perhaps, but the title gives you the chance to say your No. 1 for 4 years, England did it when they won in 2003 and I don't doubt South Africa will for the next 4 years.

However I only added New Zealand in there for the sake of things, having Australian citizenship I can never wait to support an opposing team, and being completely English, I absolutely despise the Australians :p

Edit: And as for those rankings, it's from the 15th so needs to be updated but I don't see how a team knocked out in the quarter finals can be Number one. That's just stupid.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
*Grits teeth*
Yeah, sure, whatever :D

They indeed deserved it.

It's true, sadly. The team had reached their Tim Henman moment I feel - the passion, effort was there, but ultimately the opponents were simply better.

Great story nonetheless.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Edit: And as for those rankings, it's from the 15th so needs to be updated but I don't see how a team knocked out in the quarter finals can be Number one. That's just stupid.

Rankings are taken over a period of time and matches, not just a one-off game, much as tennis rankings are not just the result of a single tournament.

http://www.irb.com/rankings/explain/index.html

After the World Cup, I expect NZ will slip to 2 or 3... then after a couple of years, if they resume their current Tri-Nation and tour record, then they might climb again. Depends on if South Africa can win the Tri-Nations or not...

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I thought both teams were evenly matched, however still think it should of been England who won, that disallowed try was clearly OK, and that would of changed the game dramatically.

Er, his foot was clearly on the line. No try.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Not from where I was watching.... (ie at home on my sofa but they showed on ITV in slow-mo six times!)

Yeah, on one of the angles, camera is on at ground level a bit back from the try line (looking up the touch line), you can see his foot still on the ground as he slides onto the line, and then he lifts it up. It was close. That was the only angle that really showed his foot out.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Er, his foot was clearly on the line. No try.

I need to get what ever TV you have, I paused the normal speed, slow motion and paused TV to try and see, and for me he just lifted before the line. It was a try. Guess this will be 66' all over again, "Did the ball cross the line" "was his foot on the line"

Still so proud of the England Rugby team, after the way we started, I thought we'd be coming home after the group stages.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I need to get what ever TV you have, I paused the normal speed, slow motion and paused TV to try and see, and for me he just lifted before the line. It was a try. Guess this will be 66' all over again, "Did the ball cross the line" "was his foot on the line"

Sony Bravia V-series.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
It wasn't a try. Sadly. If it was given it would have changed the game entirely, but its not worth pondering over for years to come.
Still, we did what I wanted at the very least - namely not give up the mantel without a fight, and fight we did. And we did the hardest thing of all - denied them the game that they wanted to play, we neutralised their backs (namely the lethal Brain Habana) and generally stopped them running at us.
We gave them the game by making frustratingly simple mistake for which we were punished via penalties.
But we weren't hammered, we held our heads up in a valiant effort, and as we're the only defending champs to reach a final after winning the last world cup, we finished above NZ, Australia, France, Ireland etc... it's not all bad.

Now what I could do without is the part time rugby fans who think that the manners that are allowed on the terraces are also used in rugby. :mad:
Snobbish maybe, but dammit I could do without chants like "I'd rather be a Catt than a ****". Which did start off as "I'd rather be a Catt than a Safa" until they had the fact that he is indeed of RSA extraction. Iijits. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.