Rugged Case for the Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leggendario, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Leggendario macrumors newbie

What is the best rugged case for the new MBPr?

It would be great if there is something similar to the iPhone's Rugged cases such as the Otterbox defender series.

I'm planning to buy this new machine probably next week but of course I will invest into a case that will protects this investment.

Thanks

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) It's not an investment, it's consumer good which will consistently depreciate in value over time. Just enjoy it like it's meant to be enjoyed.

2) Do you have a real need for a rugged case or are you just OCD? If you carry your MBP in a sleeve or dedicated briefcase you'll be fine. I've owned dozens of metal based Apple laptops, starting with the "soft" TiBook. With avg. care they will look as great when you sell them as when you first took it out of the box.

Now if you are a total slob and treat it like a football, OK then, by all means get a ruggedized case. But that kills the slim and light feature of the RMBP. You turn it into a plastic PC case. Kind of a waste, don't you think?

Personally, I like my laptops naked.

3. Leggendario thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to agree that "technically" it was not investment. But of course I mean it is part of my tool for my work so I was investing in my career by buying the tools that will help me grow.

The reason why I need a rugged case is that due to the work environment that I will be working into. I will be ding some off site testing of the databases that I'm developing for health care use. So I think it will be worth it to buy something that will protect this machine from damages. Even though it depreciates, "It doesn't matter" as a buy a new development machine every 3-4 years, the most important thing is to keep this machine healthy and reduces damages, that reduces the down time.

This is not a cheap 1K machine I will be buying a >3K configuration.

4. unibility macrumors 6502

why?

5. Leggendario thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need a slim machine. I need a machine that has a high resolution display (Retina Preferably) a good SSD drive and lots of RAM.

I'm using Filemaker Pro, Xcode, and Eclipse for Development and all my work flow are optimized for OSX that's why I need a MacBook Pro.

We are developing an Application that will be used off site using a 3rd Generation iPad.

6. leenak macrumors 68020

If you want truly rugged, this is probably the best one you'd see
    http://www.pelican-case.com/1095cc.html

(corrected link)

That site also has others, that is more of a middle of the line rugged. Think they have some others as well.

7. mexico macrumors member

I'd like a rugged case for when I take it out on shoots. Ive dropped my current macbook off the back of a truck bed while I was transferring video and it put a nasty dent in it once. Cases aren't just for OCD people.

8. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

9. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I bought that case for my macbook pro. It's awesome for the most part.

until i dropped my macbook to test it (I know im stupid) and i cracked my screen...

10. icestorm0806 macrumors newbie

pelican is the way to go. the 1085 model is perfect for it, that's what i got for putting in my backpack while riding my motorcycle to school.

11. radus macrumors 6502

12. unit_circle, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

unit_circle macrumors newbie

Hey, I know that this thread is 3 years old and I'm sorry to re-awaken it, however, I've checked around at several online and brick-and-mortar retailers and haven't come up with a good answer yet.

Can anybody suggest a good case for MPB 13" Retina? I stopped by a retailer today and looked at a Thule Gauntlet sleeves... What a joke. The v3 one might be better but the (v1?) version I looked at had zero padding, basically just a piece of plastic to put over your notebook. The Pelican 1085 is larger than I need by almost two inches internally both x and y, and the 1075 is too small. Externally, the 1085 is too big to even fit in my backpack. It's probably also monstrously heavy, though that matters less to me.

The g-form linked above looks good, and probably what I'll buy if I don't get a response, but the cnet review suggests that the corners / edges might not be super safe. I'm a motorcycle (and bicycle) rider; the front of the bag (facing backwards when it's on me) usually has a scarf, hat, etc. To cushion any impacts, along with the air trapped in the bag's main compartment and pouches, MOLLE webbing, and perhaps 3 or 4 additional layers of fabric, netting, etc. Not worried about that. But the sides and bottom where there is a single or two layers will be in bad shape if I lay my bicycle or motorcycle down.

My current case, a cheap-a** monoprice neoprene pouch, has a zipper on one side (which is the case with the g-form as well) which I wager is bad news during any impacts on that side.

Anybody have any more suggestions? It's 2015 and all I can find are these stupid neoprene pouches!

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Was just thinking about this today! I have a 15" rMBP (early 2013) and I'd really like to protect my $2000+ laptop! Really I can't exactly afford a new one so something like a life proof case would be awesome, I know they don't make Life Proof cases for laptops but I'd pay good money for one, I have one on my 128GB iPhone 6 for the same reason, expensive things need to be protected, although in the case of my rMBP I get to baby it more than a phone which naturally goes more places....

14. tresmith macrumors 6502

I use a speck case for my 2013 13" rMBP. it's very sleek, light weight, and stylish. it adds very little bulk and weight to the laptop.

I haven't traveled alot with my laptop but it should offer excellent scratch protection. I don't know how well the case well do if dropped.