iPad "Rugged" cases for ipad4 retina?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by drgrafix, Apr 17, 2014.

1. drgrafix macrumors regular

Just got an ipad4 64 gb wifi and I love it. Got it used locally via CL and contrary to some horror stories it wasn't a scam. Anyway it came with an apple smart case which is nice but it's lime green!

So I'm looking for a slightly more substantial case that I can use without fear of dropping in my w ood shop or in the garage. There's so many , wondered who is using what, are they military spec, and your pros & cons.

Brands I've heard of are Otterbox, snow lizard, spec, and a few others. Do major chains like BB have a good selection of rugged cases? I haven't been to the apple store both are a hike.

Mike

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I like the way the Griffin Survivor looks. I saw recently that you can now order custom color combinations on their website. It is a bit more bulky than the Otterbox, but I like the look of it a little more.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipad/ipad-4th-gen

4. Kangda macrumors member

FYI, I saw clearance priced Griffin Survivors for iPad 2 at Target recently. I think for under $25 bucks. Not sure if there were iPad 4 versions on clearance too. There were many cases on clearance.

5. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Go Otterbox. I have the defender and on my way out I dropped the iPad with that case on and there was no resulting damage. They have great customer service and you can probably pick one up on best buy clearance in certain colors, like the gray/white version

6. drgrafix thread starter macrumors regular

What about the nude from life-proof? Basically a donut, but they also have a clip on screen protector, totally water-resistant... Video is hilarious when CEO serves I cream to kids on his iPad then rinses it.

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Looks like the Otterbox is on sale: http://www.groupon.com/goods?category=electronics-goods&utm_source=rvs&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=5527868

8. Aspasia, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The Otterbox defender case is pretty darn rugged. A family member's iPod Touch 5G fell out of her bag in the school parking lot this winter. A car ran over it.

The case was squished and the iPod screen was shattered, but it still works perfectly. We just have to have the screen replaced. And get a new Otterbox defender case.

Updating this post because I just got a text from my daughter. A month ago she had dropped her mini and shattered the screen. I paid for the new screen, but would not give it back to her unless she used an Otterbox Defender (she had just used the Apple cover before). Her text was a "thank you" because the mini fell out of her grocery cart and landed on the floor after bouncing a couple of times. The Otterbox saved it. I had just paid $150 to have the screen repaired on 4/20. The cost of the Otterbox was well worth it.

9. brendu macrumors 68020

I know I am late to the party but I wanted to add that yesterday I got an otter box defender case for my iPad 2. I had been using it with the apple smart case and nude and I dropped it a couple times when it was nude, scratching the sides and slightly chipping the glass on a corner. I was worried about the glass getting worse so I got this case and it is fantastic. It's not super thin but it's not as bulky as I feared it would be. Overall I a very happy with it. If you are still looking I would recommend it.

10. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

In my opinion, the LifeProof is more rugged than the OtterBox. The LifeProof is waterproof and dustproof, and actually prevents dust from clogging up the speaker grilles. The OtterBox is hands down the best protection for drops, but I prefer the LifeProof because it's also waterproof. Also, the LifeProof is cheaper than the OtterBox.

11. Supacali macrumors newbie

There are several around 30ish $ that are as good quality wise as those already recommended. I use Ballistic that has a detachable front cover maybe ideal for when you backpack it. Also see bobjgear, uzibull airwave, devicewear rubber, maybe also spigen.