Rugs for vinyl sheet flooring -- need advice!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Jan 19, 2012.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

My apartment complex is replacing my carpeting with vinyl sheet flooring. This is fine with me, except for the fact that apparently I will have to replace all my rugs because they're either rubber-backed -- which can react with the vinyl and stain it -- or they have scratchy underside material that can scuff and dull the finish.

That leaves vinyl-backed rugs or woven, reversible rugs -- but the woven rugs apparently have to be colorfast, a quality that NONE of the rugs I've found seems to list on the label.... (AND since I'm on a teeny-tiny budget my options are limited anyway. It's still worth it to have rugs, if only to prevent dirt from grinding into the flooring.)

Also, do I need to put something under the casters on my furniture (several items have them) even if these items are going to stay put at all times?

I welcome any advice from vinyl sheet flooring owners who can help me figure my way through this.

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Never heard of such, keep using your same rugs and don't worry about it. Vynal is some of the most durable types of floorings. They tout that stuff to be fairly indestructible unlike wood or tile.

Your apartment complex is putting it in because it is so durable and they will be able to get tons of life out of it turning over units that they wouldn't out of carpet etc. Not to mention how are you going to keep rugs from sliding without any kind of rubber mat or backing?

In short, save your money. Keep your rugs and keep using them.