Rule for post your desktop thread?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Eric Lewis, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Maybe there should be a rule where you have to post your wallpaper in the post your desktop thread

it would get rid of tons of "link please" "where did you get that?

and i find it a pain looking through them and seeing so many "link please"

execptions: if its a personal photograph then you dont have to
    (example picture of grandma, wife, kids etc you get the point?)

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes, I would like to see this brought in. Can be very difficult to track which link is which picture.

I mentioned this in one the Months threads. Didn't exactly catch on and I believe it has been mentioned before.

However, might not be possible with copyright images and would it be expected if you have forgotten where the image came from to upload it? (would this then be breaking laws?)

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't really see why a rule is needed. Maybe someone doesn't want to share where they got their background image from. If so, that's their prerogative.

Are the posts really that bothersome?

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Then tat person could say they don't want to post a link, or that they don't know where they got it from. I know sifting through that thread would be a lot easier if this were a rule. I think it would be a good implementation.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

But there is already a mod note at the top of the March Desktops thread, indicating that it would be nice if members linked their pics.

What more can be done? You really can't strong-arm people into sharing, because then they'll be turned off and won't want to participate.

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I understand your point and I agree that you can't nor should try to strong arm people into sharing. However I can't remember the last time I read the moderator's note at the beginning of the monthly thread. I can assure you that there are other people don't read it either.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think it is no more bothersome then the chatter that goes on in the setups thread. While some chatter is to be expected, it seems to now go on for pages.
    There should be a "photo only" thread where no text is allowed. Like @ photo.net.

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

No,no,no!

After posting the pic, you either put:

Wallpaper available here: (Link here)

-OR-

Wallpaper not available/I can't find it/some other reason

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think something should be done.

At the moment we get

This usually happens over a couple of pages and requires the first poster to then go and check to see if anyone has asked for it if they feel like it. And for another user its a hassle to go back and follow the quotes to the source.

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

All the times I've posted there only once have I been asked for a link. Think of the time I would have wasted if I'd tracked down every picture. What's wrong with the few asked for a link giving one?

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh, so now you're changing the terms. ;)

Before it was whether or not a rule was a good idea. Now it's a matter of "what do we do if the rule is not followed?"

Mod notes have the same basic purpose as rules (they should be followed and are for a particular purpose). If they are already ignored, would a rule really improve the situation?

Or, more importantly, is it worth the mods' time to keep harrassing members for their links?

What should/would the mods do if this was made an official rule (beyond the standard mod note at the top)?

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I see your point CalBoy and this is why I am in the suggestion business and not the implementation business. That's someone else's job.:D

Joking aside, I do think it would be a good thing to implement but I do not see any good way to enforce it. And it definitely is not fair to the moderators to make them enforce it. It seems like a loosing battle to me, a good suggestion but sadly doomed.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, it really is one of those you want everyone to do, but it's impossible to enforce.

It doesn't hurt though, to remind everyone to be neighborly. :) That's really all I picture as viable for this situation.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Why not ban responses for links instead? If someone wants the link, PM the poster. Poster should then supply link *and* edit their original post to add the link (or say link not available). That way people don't waste time tracking down link unless it would be useful.

15. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I guess so that if a few people want it, they don't all have to PM.

16. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I agree that people can always PM for links to wallpaper if they want it. Especially if that's all they have to say regarding the setup image. If there was a rule to PM members for links to wallpaper, it might eliminate the spam, and also allow members to choose whether or not they want to share.

On the other hand, even with a rule, people will still respond by asking for a link to the wallpaper. :p It seems the best solution for everyone is for us to all try our best to be tolerant, and allow the mods to decide when things are getting out of hand.