Rule of thumb on refurb price reduction

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by erz, Mar 6, 2008.

1. erz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I extensively searched the forum, but if it is buried in all the "refurb worth it or not" threads I cannot find it.

Is there an official apple policy or at least a rule of thumb by which one can estimate the price reduction in the refurb store from the original price? I assume that over time outdated technology should get cheaper, so is there some rule along the line of:

Current line refurbished item = retail price -(e. g.)12% for desktop
    last gen line refurbished item = retail price - 25% for desktop

I am wondering, because in all those waiting threads some people hold out not to get the newest technology, but in the hope of an item shifting into a new generation facilitating a price drop in the refurb shop. Is this true and proven?

Point in case: I would like to buy a 24" iMac of the current generation refurb. With updates around the corner (I don't need it, I can wait a month or two) and apple pushing the current iMacs at a 18% discount (limited time special offer) in the refurb store I am wondering whether a penryn iMac will reduce the refurb price even further?

This would be perfect for me, as the current specs are just what I need and the cheaper the better for my tight budget. But if previous gen iMacs are going for 19% reduction at most, I would not hesitate to buy asap, seeing that the German refurb store hardly ever offers one to begin with. So I could start hunting today.

Rounding things up to not asking the same question again when hunting for an iPod touch later this year: What do you know about the refurb price policy?

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, there used to be what I perceived to be a formula, but the last round of updates brought a surprisingly large drop in refurb prices, so your guess is as good as anybody's.

3. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

If they follow the same method they did with the Macbooks, then I would think they would reduce the price. Before the penryn updates, the refurbed 2.2 Ghz White Macbook was $1049. Once the penryn updates came out, they reduced the price to $999.

4. Jayrod macrumors regular

I have noticed that the refurbished items are roughly the same price as what they are after the education discount. So basically if you are a student, or can get someone to buy your Mac for you that is a student, you're better off using the education discount. That way you get the most up to date model for the price of a previous model refurb.

5. newmacmom macrumors member

Not right now

The prices on the refurbs now are lower than the education discount, but that is not always the case. For example, the most basic 24 inch imac is $1699 in the education store, but $1499 in the refurb store.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Agreed. Apple's been generous with the last refurb price drop -- it's a good time to buy a refurb.
    Also, even before this drop, many of the refurb prices were still better than the education ones. When I bouth my MBP last spring, I purchased a refurb computer, then AppleCare using the Educ discount, as the refurb price was better then as well.