Rules for Mail on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevin Barre, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Kevin Barre macrumors newbie

Anyone heard about Rules for Mail on iPhone?

Drives me nuts that I have a bunch of spam filtering rules for Mail on my desktop machine that do not port over to Mail on the iPhone.

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

can you not use the webmail interface to set up your rules, therefore it is sorted before it get to your iphone and also before it gets to your computer.

you didnt say what email service it is but pretty much them all can easily do server side filtering.

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I have rules set up on mobile me and they only apply when I have a computer up and running with my mail app turned on. Otherwise, it sends everything to my inbox. I had asked an apple store employee about this and they said they had the same problem. I asked about this sometime around when the iPad came out so I have no idea if anything has changed. I still leave my mini on all day.

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Rules for mail (at least, the Mail programs I use- me.com, earthlink) don't work on the iPhone. Seems to me like a big hole in the iPhone Mail app.

5. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I've got filters/rules set up on my Gmail account and rules on my Exchange account. Since both are executed server side, everything is in it's appropriate folders and in the correct spot on my iPhone.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not a hole, Apple realizes this is best done server-side. Client side filtering is so 2000.

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

LOL...OOOKAAAYY...:) Then explain why it doesn't work that way with rules set up in Mobile Me which is Apple's own baby...

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Heck if I know, I'm an Exchange Admin! :p

Sounds to me like Apple is being cheap. My personal Exchange server (hosted through SherWeb for $8/month) has Barracuda filtering before it arrives to my inbox.

9. SnowDX macrumors 6502

I just tested and it works for me. I set up a couple of folders via MobileMe on the web, and mail from specific email addresses goes directly into those folders. I sent message to my MobileMe account from my work account on my PC and from my personal account on my iPad. The mail from those addresses is NOT in my MobileMe inbox on the iPhone, it's in the folders I created via the web interface.

What type of rule do you have set up? I can test it out and see if it a similar rule works with my mobileMe account and iPhone.

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Like I said, my rules will work on my phone, but only as long as my mail app is running on my computer. That doesn't appear to be server side filtering to me.

11. SnowDX macrumors 6502

But that's because you set them up *in* the Mail app, correct? That is application side. I set up my rules on MobileMe via the web, then I logged out and closed my browser. The only place I have MobileMe set up is on my iPad and iPhone. The rules I set up on MobileMe via the web work on my iPhone/iPad.

Apple should have their Mail app doing the rules server side for MobileMe since they are both their products, but from your description it sounds like they don't. So, log into MobileMe with a browser and set your rules up there.

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

OK, but the problem is that the Rules you are allowed to set are minimal. Not even as robust as what you can do in the regular Mac Mail App.
    If Apple really wants to make Rules work effectively, they'll give us at least the options that exist on the Mac. Otherwise, IMO, it's a waste of effort.
    And, yes, the Rules should be set up to work across the product line in a seamless way.

13. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

No I've set them up in mobile me.

**EDIT** I must correct myself. I only had a few rules set up on mobile me. The rest were set up on the mail app. I'll have to try it out all day tomorrow to see if I can leave my computer off now. I really hate leaving it running.