Rumor about a Logic update for July 2009

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by oban14, Mar 7, 2009.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

"hi,

some news i got from a german logic programmer:

next big update in July 09. hotspot is on: "time & pitch" new algorythm is cooming!! & stability. also to clean some little bugs.

have a nice day"

Got if off Facebook and don't really know the source, but I don't know why someone would make up a rumor about such a minor update. Thought I'd share with you all.

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

3. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is no link, it was a message sent to one of the Logic user groups on facebook.

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

What about a link to that?

5. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Yep, just give him your username and password for facebook so everyone can see for himself ;)

6. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sign up on facebook, join the Logic Pro groups, and read the messages. It was sent to me anyway.

I said it was a RUMOR. There is no link beyond what I posted here. I tend to believe it because I don't know why someone would make up such a minor rumor... though I welcome any improvements they can make.

7. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I know nothing and barely know rumors, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were new versions of the pro apps coming out this summer. They'll be announcing Snow Leopard and with the new OS would be a fine time to debut reworked pro apps to match. Also, last version of FCP Studio was 2 years ago.

8. oban14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know, this sounds to me more like an "update" as opposed to Logic 9. But we'll see.

9. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

It may be an "update" or it may be an "update", but it would seem reasonable to have something around that time. I am also not a programmer (amongst so many things I am not), but I wonder if a major reworking of the code would be in order to get the proapps sleeked up and efficient for Snow Leopard.

10. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I hate to be one of those guys, but do y'all think this would be a bad time to buy Logic 8? I'm pretty stoked to get my hands on Logic, plus a presonus firebox or something and start recording. I'm a University student, so my computer store will sell me Logic Studio for about 175$, but with the non-upgradeable catch, so I wouldn't be able to upgrade if Logic 9 came out this summer.

I know this kinda thing all comes down to how badly I want to start recording now vs how much I want added features of a program I haven't even tried yet. But I'm planning to get Snow Leopard when it comes out (currently on 10.4), and if Logic 9 were to come out this summer with improved performance for 10.6, I wouldn't wanna have missed out on that. Anyway, basically just hoping for input from somebody with a better feel for update cycles and point releases for the pro apps, cause I haven't been following this over the past few years.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

Don't put off recording. Use Garage Band. For most people GB has all they need. If you are just stating out it will take half a year until your skill level is not the weak link. Then later buy Logic. Don't worry about the upgrade timiing. We don't know if the next release will be 8.x or 9.0 Apple may not even have decided yet. Just buy it when you need it. But like I said if you are just starting out you likely do not need it.

12. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Sorry I shoulda mentioned that, I've been using Garageband for a few years now, and I'm looking to expand my horizons at this point. That said I can get a proper audio interface first, try working with that in Garageband for a while before I step up to Logic, since everything I've done so far with GB has been through the line in and internal microphone. Still, I'm looking to get an mpd-24 midi controller and start playing around with sampling, and I don't think I can do much with that in GB.

I wasn't able to find the facebook group, what's the exact name of the group? And was it posted in the discussions section or on the wall?

13. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I don't know what your money situation is like, but I'd say buy the interface now and Logic a little further down the road. The audio improvement in moving up from the line in should be significant. There's a very good chance that 8.X or 9 will be coming out sometime this year. Likely candidates seem to be June or the new rumor for March 24 whatever that might be.

14. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

It will probably be more than two years before we see a Logic 9. Logic 7 was around for like four years, and Logic 8 is less than two years old.

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

My prediction is that we will see a Logic 9 at some point after Snow Leopard is released. I think they will want to take advantage of Snow Leopard's new features. We might even see some of the audio processing move onto the GPU in some cases. Certainly they will want to take better advantage of the multi-core Macs

Still we might see minor improvments like for example in the pitch and time quantization algorithm before Logic 9.

It is really a marketing, not a technical decision about when you draw a line and call a realease "9.0" rather then "8.x". Being a software developer (but not on Mac OS X) myself I know that those guys are just working off a task list that is sorted by priority. We have weekly meetings to assess status and re-sort the task list so as to keep the stuff that is needed on top and push stuff down that is not going well. Just the other day we decided that I'm to call my current working copy of the software "12" and release it. we are leaving 80% of the task list for "13", later. I'm sure they work the same way.

I'm sure the Logic team has a copy of Snow Leopard and is using it to develope features targeted for release in late 2009 or 2010. My gues is that they have a Logic 8.x and a logic 9.x that they are developing in parallel and 9x dependfs on Snow Leoprd and 8x is for tiger/leopard

16. Darkwood macrumors newbie

Logic 9.0 in 09'... Not a chance!

Like boss-man said... maybe in 2010 or 2011 at the latest. No way that will happen this year though. Why release something new when sales are still steady from 8.0? :apple:

17. DrGruv1 macrumors regular

i heard logic 9 was out to the beta testers...

hopefully - sooner than summer - but maybe not

18. fernmeister macrumors regular

Before Logic 8 came out the rumours were it would be announced with Final Cut and it wasn't. Then, they were apparently waiting until Leopard, but they didn't.

My big question about these rumours is what, exactly, do people think Apple will upgrade? The main Logic interface was massively revamped for 8 and I suspect we will live with that for some time now.

Three things that have seen clear discussion on the forums (by the pros and the saavy) are waveburner, score editor and sample editor. These are aspects of the studio set where Logic is, arguably behind the game compared with Bias Peak, Celemony, Sibelius/Pro Tools, etc.

Two other potential issues are improving RAM access for AU Plugins, especially sample players and making it easier for users to manage EXS instruments and sample libraries (a la Redmatica).

Bundle those together and that highlights the "studio" side of Logic as a full music workflow solution. Of course, whether we see any of that is another issue again.

19. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Logic releases have come on the average of every 3-4 years. Look for Logic '9' in 2011 or so as others have said.

There were rumors of a mystical 'Logic 8' for many years. Looks like it has started again. :)

20. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

So when do you expect we will see Logic 8? :)

I don't know enough about how Snow Leopard deals with addressing multiple cores more effectively, but the ProApps are a prime place for updates to take advantage of the cores. Of course that probably takes major code rewrites and time. but what do I know--I'm just an end user who likes rumors.