Rumor: Apple's iTunes going DRM-free starting Tuesday

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anim8or, Dec 9, 2008.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

...neither of which are DRM free.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why post this rumor (again) after the Tuesday update? It's obviously not true as most songs are still DRMed up.

4. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

That is my point.... 4OD and BBC had both previously stated that the DRM Apple uses is what was stopping them from allowing downloads on mac....

....BBC is now allowing downloads..... i wonder if this has anything to do with it?

I know that itunes is still carrying DRM'd track but this could be a sign of Apple loosening their grip on the DRM licencing..?

This was posted early in the day in the UK, Apple tend to do things in US time being a US company and all... there was a possibility of it happening that day... but as we have all seen it didn't.

I still think there could be a chance though!

5. Grasbak macrumors 6502

you are correct - but I dont think its the whole story. The DRM Apple use for iTunes (fairplay) is not available to them so they cannot use the apple framework (iTunes/fairplay). They will want DRM on the catchup downloads.... I assume apple could take care of it for them if both parties wanted it to happen....

The BBC download is to a separate player and uses DRM through Adobe AIR. Presumably Channel 4 etc could do the same.... i assume the downloads won't work in iTunes and therefore front row/apple tv/iphone etc...