Rumor: Intel moving up Ivy Bridge announcement to April 23

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Razorhog, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

2. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Nary a word on the AMD 7970m/7990m, which would also be a required part for the top-end. (As I understand it, Nvidia's several weeks behind AMD, and wouldn't be in the picture.)

4. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Damn, I keep forgetting about that. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Reaaallly want new iMacs soon. The wait is killing me!

6. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Agreed!

7. chrismarle macrumors 6502

Does that mean that the new iMac can come soon? Anyone has a theory about the next iMac refresh? I've been waiting since December...

8. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

It's past due. Anytime now between now and July. Probably May-June.

9. Imaginethe macrumors regular

I've been waiting since then too. I do hope they come soon.

10. Macnator, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

Macnator macrumors 6502

I'm also waiting for the new iMacs. They can't get here soon enough!

I need a new one because the backlight on my 2007 iMac has stopped working for about half the screen. About a month ago the screen started flashing but nothing happened at the time, I knew something was wrong though. It didn't happen for a few weeks after that, then just a few days ago, it started happening again. The screen started flashing, then part of the backlight went out I assume. The top half of the screen is now dim/not as bright compared to the bottom half.

If I put it to sleep then wake it up, it does one of two things. It will either flash briefly then dim, or it will light up normally then instantly dim.

In other words, I need a new iMac! :D

11. chrismarle macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know about this rumor but I am wondering how much time will it take to Apple to put it on the market after Ivy Bridge's announcement. How much time did it took to Apple to release the Sandy Bridge iMac after Sandy Bridge's announcement? It probably will be the same, no?

12. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I did this exercise in another thread. Basically, since 2006, sometimes an iMac launches immediately with CPU availability, and sometimes there's a gap. Really it depends on what else is isn't available. Rest assured they have enough Ivy Bridge samples to have been prototyping new iMacs for a while already. The "announcement" is to the public, not to the OEMs.

13. chrismarle macrumors 6502

And how long were the delays for, example, the last 2-3 refreshes?

14. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about a shipping delay. Pretty confident when the apple store goes down and iMacs appear next morning, you can guy and get it like usual. The hard drive shortage seemed to go away, plus there is not an ivy bridge recall + the announcement is for the public, as was said above.

the real issue is when! May, June? screw july, won't happen that far away. What we need to see is apples wwdc invite. I think next week will be quiet too, but possible for some news/ or invite to break next tues or wed. Once the 23rd comes its free game, so close. don't buy 2011 now you'll regret it

15. Liquinn Suspended

What do you mean once the 23rd comes, it's free game?

16. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I mean free game because ivy bridge chips are being announced publicly / shipping a week from monday, then consider what a coincidence that the iMac and macbook pro are due for a refresh. ( * and no the October brief speed bump for mbp does not count at all) + apples conference financial call is the 24th. I wouldn't be surprised to see a product come out this month or the first week of May. The iMac has never been a 12+ month delay for refresh, lets hope this pans out.

17. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j