Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100713PD207.html

Apple reportedly plans to launch its second-generation iPad, using 5.6-inch and 7-inch OLED panels, as soon as in the fourth quarter of 2010 with Compal Electronics having a chance to receive the orders, according to sources from component makers.

The sources noted that Apple has recently placed new iPad orders to Taiwan-based component makers for the fourth quarter of 2010 and the first quarter of 2011 with 9.7-inch, 5.6-inch and 7-inch models all included.

The 9.7-inch model will see some minor changes, while Apple will add Chimei Innolux (CMI) as one of its panel suppliers.
The new 5.6- and 7-inch iPads will mainly target the e-book reader market, separating them from the 9.7-inch model, which mainly targets multimedia entertainment, the sources stated.

Commenting on the rumors, Digitimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo pointed out that the largest OLED maker, Samsung Electronics', current OLED capacity is not even enough to supply the company's own handset products; therefore, the capacity is unlikely to be enough to supply Apple's new devices for the fourth quarter of 2010. Tight OLED capacity may ease in the second half of 2011, Kuo added.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
I doubt they're going to do this, having multiple offerings of the same product with different screen sizes/resolutions is a developer's nightmare.

The iPhone was also rumored to have multiple smaller offerings, none of which materialized.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Also, the iPad has been on the market a scant few months. I doubt they would launch a new model so fast.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The iPad has still not been officially rolled out in the majority of the world.

With launches planned for the end of this month and more to come in September/October - add the continuing rollout of iPhone 4 (and it's possible recall) do you honestly believe in the same time scale they are going to shove out more ipads onto an Apple saturated market that they are themselves still finding difficult to supply demand.

Logic and sense seems to evaporate when it comes to peoples desires.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Nah... why WAIT UNTIL CHRISTMAS 2010? All of those apple fanboys are going to buy anything apple throw at them. They will put out at least 2 more ipads by this fall.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
The iPad has still not been officially rolled out in the majority of the world.

^This.

Until they get their full first-round distribution completed they're not going to put a lot of time into a second version. There's too much money to be made yet for them before they hit the market a second time.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Is it the same source that reported late last year/early this year that Apple took every OLED screen available in the market for ipad?

It makes sense in fan boy stand point, it makes zero sense business stand point.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Apple won't make multiple sized iPads, however i could see a new one in late 10'

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Apple is already pushing their usual small product spread with the iPad. I mean, there are 6 items at 6 different price points. That's pretty unheard of for them. Imagine if they came out with two more models in 3 sizes. If 3G is included in them as well, then that is 18 different SKU's.

Way too complicated for Apple's tastes.

Besides, the whole purpose for the iPad is to bridge the gap between iPhone and MacBook. Anything smaller would be bridging the gap between iPhone and iPad, and you can't tell me there's a strong enough market for that to warrant new products.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I don't see a new one coming so soon. Apple usually updates everything once a year. So, spring '11.
All I want is a retina display, camera, more ram, slushie machine, android 2.2, scanner, sd card slot, and an app to find me a parking spot in downtown.

jwillgoesfast

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I would love to see an ipad/ipod touch at 5.6 inches...need something bigger than the current ipod but still small enough to fit in a pocket. I agree though that it is unlikely any significant updates will happen in 2010.

If anything is to happen in 2010 it could be a transition away from the ipod touch into making a small ipad instead of a "iphone w/o the phone", but that is also unlikely.

looks like we'll just have to be happy with what we've got for now.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I don't see a new one coming so soon. Apple usually updates everything once a year. So, spring '11.
All I want is a retina display, camera, more ram, slushie machine, android 2.2, scanner, sd card slot, and an app to find me a parking spot in downtown.

For $499

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Foolish mortals.

"I WANTS NEW IPAD NAO, IN BOTH 5.6 INCH AND 7 INCH AND 45 INCH SIZES. WITH LAZERS AND MISSILES AND A VELOCIRAPTOR. AND STEVE JOBS NEEDS TO PERSONALLY HAND IT TO ME AND THEN SEXUALLY SERVICE ME."

no new iPad in christmas 2010, don't be stupid.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Bullcrap.

Apple has wisely gone the IPS LCD route instead of OLED. I don't see them reversing that. I hope they don't. OLED has too many immaturity issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.