Rumor: Next iPhone shipping with new (iPod Shuffle) earphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buymeaniphone, May 25, 2009.

1. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

Supposedly, according a reliable source, the new iPhone will be shipping with new earphones, similar in style to the new iPod shuffle earphones. As some of you may know, these earphones have the ability to not only control your music’s playback but also the volume level, thanks in part to a new chip that Apple has started using in these earphones. Well according to my source, this is only a small glimpse as to what this new chip is capable of doing. When these earphones are used with the next generation iPhone, and in conjunction with the 3.0 software update, these earphones could have a myriad of uses and functions. Some examples would be to use the earphones as a shutter button for your iPhone’s camera, or perhaps to zoom in and out with the expected video capabilities of the next iPhone. Another feature that I thought was interesting, could be to use the headphones as an additional input device for gaming on the iPhone.

Obviously these features are now dormant on the earphones, but I’d be willing to guess once the official 3.0 update is released that you might be able to use them with your iPhone 3G and even the first generation iPhone. Only time will tell, keep in mind this is only hearsay so take all this with a grain of salt.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Cool... having the earphones control the zooming is an interesting idea.

I am also hoping that the next iPhone will be compatible with the current In-Ear headphones, which I am sure it will. :)

UPD: Another thing I just thought of... could the headphone remote capabilities be available in future Macs? I would love to be able to use my In-Ear headphones to change the song and volume without having to switch to iTunes.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The big thing about the headphones isn't the chip but the additional ring on the headphone jack. And, if I recall, the iPhone 3G lacks the necessary connection take advantage of the volume controls on the headphones.

But what Apple could do is re-map the click of the microphone to be used for things like the camera shutter when in the app.

4. michaelgettys macrumors member

I have the 80 dollar in ear head phones and they work itunes on my unibody macbook

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Repped. Why someone thought most of that was big news (don't we get that every day?) is beyond me. The iPod touch got the volume feature in the fall, and the shuffle got it this year. The iPhone will almost surely get it, and I would bank on the other iPods getting it later this year.

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I'd expect a rumor to say that the volume-control headphones were not coming to the iPhone. I thought it was a given.

If the iPhone doesn't get them I'd be surprised. Until then, at least we know that's one physical change.

8. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

sorry you spent so much money on headphones

9. theNEOone macrumors 6502

I'm sorry I bought those as well. I'm on my second pair because of crappy build quality.

1. Ear pieces fit too loosely on the earphones (not in my ears) so when they are tangled in my pocket and I pull them out, the rubber earpiece falls off the actual earphone. I've lost two pairs already
    2. The rubber "base" of the earphone that raps around the first cm that protrudes from the earphone itself has come unglued from the rest of the earphone

.....waste of $80. At least Apple replaced the first ones for free. I'm sure they'll do it again, but I've just been too lazy to go to the Apple store. The closest one to me is the 5th Ave store which is insanely busy - even at 2am. Bleh.

=|

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since when did a rumor become, "Oh, hey, I'd like this to happen." ?!

11. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Maybe it's just my ears but while the in-ear ones are awesome, they always seem to fall apart or stop working much faster than normal headphones.

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah that is one thing i would definitely not use. what an awkward position. holding your iPhone in landscape with one hand (usually the right for most people, but i hold it with the left as i am left handed) and reaching with your left to go and press the button....