Rumor Poking -> Macbook Pro Update Design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XeroV8800, Aug 12, 2008.

1. XeroV8800 macrumors newbie

Reading through these forums and seeing the pictures of future Macbook Pros possibly (It's a rumor for a reason ;) ) leaves me with one question...

Where are they going to put the ports on that thing?! :confused:

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

If you mean the ones that look like MacBook Airs with deeply-sculpted sides, I ask myself the same thing.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

i think just the front will be curved on the bottom, so its nicer on the lap, the bottom half sides and back will be as usual, but a better hinge. Top will be all curved.

You heard it hear first.

4. SilentGreg macrumors member

There are rumors of updated Macbooks, Macbook Pros, and iPod classics too. ;)

5. Abhorred macrumors member

Above and slightly to the left of the Apple logo on the back of the screen. They'll be angled upwards, too, so the wires will cascade down the backside quite beautifully. iVine, they're calling it.

6. sdsviet macrumors regular

i think its just be one huge flip down port thing along down both sides like the mba. haha

7. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Been working on this all day...

Attached Files:

8. XeroV8800 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think those curves just end up making the macbook pro look chubbier than it actually is.

9. sdsviet macrumors regular

not bad. but i think the lid on the left image needs to have highlights that matches the bottom. hehe

10. zsft macrumors regular

looks nice, i wouldn't mind that.

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

My impression of the flat (chicklet) black keys on the aluminum laptop is that it looks like a newer Sony Vaio. Not very attractive to me. Why would you want the new MBP to look like just another black key on a metal interior laptop (HP, Compaq, Sony, etc...?) The more I live with my current, well mid-2007 MBP, the more I like the overall look and feel, and wouldn't really mess around with the cosmetics too much. No need for new keyboard, the existing one is one of the best out there right now already. I wouldn't mind if the palm area felt more like metal and that the top edge (where the wrists contact) were more rounded, less "sharp", and the HD was made easily user accessible. Top it off with a 15.4" hi-def screen, expresscard 54, intel's latest CPU, standard 4 gig RAM, 7200 rpm HD, new GPU, maybe GPS built-in (user can turn off or on.)

So, internal useful changes, some slight updating of the form-factor, and make this baby the best thing out there for the next cycle.

Anyway, just some thoughts from a relatively new MBP user who swears by smcFanControl to keep things cool.

12. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I like it also. Actually this is a 1st mockup that I prefer to the current design ;)

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice mockup… well except I hate the chiclet keyboard.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I wouldn't mind carrying that around...

15. MusicallySilent macrumors member

Looks pretty nice, only thing I dont care for is the chicklet keyboard, so I really hope apple offers a choice between silver and chicklet

16. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

It's odd. When I first saw the MacBook Air keyboard, I thought it looked awful. However, after spending 12+ hours on this design, I actually find I don't mind it anymore.

17. Dedic8d2hockey macrumors newbie

18. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

19. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

It's not what I'm looking for in the new MBP... a keyboard that I can eventually, after using it for some hours, reach a point where I don't mind it anymore. I want to love it. And I'm really happy with the current keyboard. Why fix it if it ain't broke? Makes no sense to me, unless it's for cost considerations. If Apple can somehow get cheaper chicklet keys to be trendy and desireable, well more power to them, but not for a 'pro' model, thanx!

20. dcdude macrumors member

i despise that chiclet keyboard

btw it wouldn't surprise me if they took an "iphone" design route on the redesigned macbooks

21. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

2nd that.
    i love my mbp keyboard.
    i use my sisters macbook every once in a while and i swear the keys are not in the same positions, and they just have no life to them.

in the mbp i can only describe that i actually feel the keys when i type.

22. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

You are right that they are similar. But this keyboard type was introduced on the MacBook before Sony introduced it on the VAIO. So they are looking like Macs in stead of the other way around.

Subtle difference :p

23. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

This keyboard type was introduced in home computers in the late 70s / early 80s long before Apple included them on the MacBook. I know, I owned a few of them!

Not so subtle difference :p

24. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Ok, allright. ;) But they have recently been re-introduced by Apple on laptops right? I haven't seen them on any laptop since apple put these in the macbook, later the air and probably now the Macbook Pro.

I saw the new VAIO and was to be quite honest a bit surprised how much it resembles the Air.

25. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

I wasn't surprised at all. Especially when you consider how much their Vaio from July 2007 resembled the MacBook.

[​IMG]