Rumor Season and the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by badman89, Jun 10, 2012.

1. badman89 macrumors regular

My experience with MacRumors:

I want to buy an iMac! I think it’s awesome!

Maybe I should check on MacRumors to see if there’s any advice about buying iMacs.

Hey, it says here that a new model is going to be released pretty soon; I should probably wait for it.

Wow, it says here that the new iMac might have SSD, Retina Display, etc. etc.

Damn, the existing iMac really sucks in comparison to what it could be with these updates.

June 11: There is no new iMac model.

WTF? The iMac is a piece of junk. It doesn’t even have SSD or Retina Display.

------

TLDR:
    In short, I started out really excited about getting an awesome new iMac but then coming to MacRumors significantly raised my expectations and I’m now sure to be disappointed on June 11.

2. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

I hear ya, but it happens with everything. People get excited and like to talk, wish and dream, myself included.

I was looking forward to the new super mac to be released but came to a realization. Im using a 6yo windows box that still serves me performance wise, I'm wanting OSX.

Im gonna see what comes out but am looking at one of the refurb 27in they have. No matter what I get its all an upgrade.

3. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

Let's see what happens tomorrow ;)

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Maybe you should wait until tomorrow to complain.

5. Dillus macrumors member

Here's my personal iMac story:
    January 2012: "The Macrumors buyers guide says there's a new model coming soon! I should wait for it, it'll be awesome!"
    February: "According to the product life cycle, it should be out next month!"
    March: "I bet it'll be released next week! I can feel it!"
    April: "I bet it'll be released next week! I can feel it!"
    May: "I bet it'll be released next week! I can feel it!"

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well to be fair, nothing before late April had any basis in CPU or GPU availability...

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

a) What's to be disappointed with? An Ivy Bridge processor will be a nice improvement over what's available now (no slouch either, by the way), even if everything else stays the same.

b) My almost two-year old iMac has an SSD - right from the factory. Not sure what you're talking about. It's been an option for a long time. Too expensive to make a 1GB+ SSD standard, even still today (can you even get 1GB SSDs? 512GB SSDs are $800+).

c) Honestly, I think a 27" retina iMac panel at 5120x2880 is expecting a lot at present level of production yield. And it would be massively expensive at that. I think realistically we'll see 11", 13" and 15" retina panels first.

(Yes, I know you're being facetious - but most people posting comments like your "examples" here on MR have no idea what they're taking about and should elevate your expectations to unreasonable levels)

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I wonder if you could tell the difference between the current screen and retina? Unless you sit 12 inches away you wouldn't see a difference.
    If you don't like all the rumors maybe an idea to stay away from a site like this. I can't wait for the new model so I can finally put windows pc plastic boxes behind me. It will be an awesome machine. Will it have everything you have read about? No but that's why they are called romours not facts.

9. Geolink macrumors member

Haha that's my experience as well.

10. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

All I care about is USB 3.0, a better GPU, and a better/cheaper SSD upgrade option.

The wait has been bad on the nerves, but the timing is actually really good for me, since I can now afford a system the moment they come out.

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

We don't know whats going to happen yet. We may all get blown away by the announcements, or Apple may not announce anything at all. Lets see what happens first.

12. Jack25 macrumors regular

Jack25

I wouldn't even mind just an Ivy Bridge iMac. Is that likely?

13. captjon macrumors member

Indeed. I'll be happy with ivy bridge and USB 3. Anything else will be a bonus - i'm not bothered about retina, but it would be a nice bonus. If it is a BTO option i think i'd rather spend my money on an SSD, processor upgrade or a beefier GPU.

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Sitting at my desk I can see individual pixels on the display so yes it would easily be noticeable. Not a deal breaker for me, I don't expect them to go retina on the 27" displays yet.

15. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

Me too.

And all should realise, that "Retina" is a definition based upon distance from the viewing screen. Hence if you sit back further from a monitor, eventually it becomes a Retina display. So ... for instance ... if the definition for normal viewing of an iPad screen was three inches, it would not be Retina. But 12' or so away, it becomes Retina. So ... if the current iMac 27" screen became 30", and the dot density remained the same as the 27", and due to the 30" resulting in the user sitting further away from the display, the 30" could be Retina standard.

So ... Retina could easily be available, via a bigger screen. IMO ... its just an Apple definition.