Rumor: TELUS Picking up the iPhone 3GS This October?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalun, Jun 25, 2009.

1. kalun macrumors regular

I just saw this article online http://www.intomobile.com/2009/06/25/rumor-telus-picking-up-the-iphone-3gs-this-october.html

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Only way this is possible is if they roll out a GSM/HSPA network in the next 4 months. Supposedly they are preparing to switch over for the 2010 Olympic games in Vancouver so they can join in on the roaming $$$, but as far as I know they have only done work in the Vancouver/Whistler area.

Edit: Good thread here with more info about Bell's roll out of their HSPA network http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106749 . Bell and telus are working together to layout their new HSPA network.

3. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

I believe Telus is well into testing their GSM network, not sure if it's just limited to a single location. Their carrier ID has popped up on a few devices when scanning for networks so it's indeed underway as most people have pointed out. As for the iPhone, I wouldn't say it's not happening but I would be very surprised if there is not some form of contract between Rogers and Apple. We need more competition though, hopefully the Bell/Telus switch is only the beginning.

4. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Doing a bit more research, looks like Telus is 5 months ahead of their schedule and may have their network live in September for limited markets and all of Canada by October.

Sadly Bell and Telus are no better then Rogers. And with the cost of the upgrade you have to think they are going to pass some of that cost to customers of their new network.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its supposed to be live in september according to a couple staff members I have talked to. So offering the iPhone in october is very possible....

6. kalun thread starter macrumors regular

Bell Canada, Telus May Carry Apple’s iPhone, Toronto Star Says

Ya, any competition will be good.

Here is a follow-up story. This one is from Toronto Star. ^_^

article