Carrier Rumor that AT&T will end 2 year contracts at the end of May

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkomatic, Apr 16, 2015.

1. erayser, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Ah... let us UDP customers enjoy this moment a little bit... LOL.. Yes, it sucked we had to manage our data when we should be unlimited. We must have been satisfied since we stuck with it that long. If you are happy with your plan, that's all that matters. No need to justify it.

I'm happy you and many others dropped UDP for a plan that makes sense to you. That may have benefited UDP customers with AT&T changing their throttling policy. 2 weeks... 17.5gb of data used and still no throttling. Based on my usage the last few weeks, a share data plan might not work with my family. Double data is nice, but I would still have to monitor data usage. Glad to finally have the freedom and enjoy my 6+ the way it should be used.:)

2. nostresshere, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015

nostresshere macrumors 68030

Those folks on subsidized plans are still buying the phones, they just don't realize it. It is buried in the monthly cost.

Why is this so hard to figure out?

We stopped doing contacts a year ago. We now pay a monthly fee for the phone and it comes out to the same price, but at least now our family members can SEE and PAY for that new phone that they thought was free.

3. Knight^mare, May 23, 2015

Knight^mare macrumors newbie

Some of us here can do something called Math and can easily grasp the simple concept that the phone subsidy is already factored into the monthly bill of 2 year contract price at $18.75 per month. With these rather simply concepts some of us whom you think are "not so intelligent" can easily deduce that staying on older 2 year family share plans saves us a considerable amount of money compared to having to switch to mobile share plans. This is especially true for those of use with FAN discounts since the discount only applies toward the data cost on mobile share plans.

So do us all a favor and don't presume to be smarter than everyone else, and don't presume to know everyone's situation. Otherwise, you just look like the least intelligent person here.

4. C DM, May 23, 2015

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like the not so intelligent part is to call other people names not even really understanding what might be involved for different people and might actually make more sense.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With my family plan we get unlimited texts, unlimited mobile to mobile calls, 700 rollover minutes and have over 4000 minutes roller over so we never really go over minutes.
    And with unlimited data we never go over that and now with no throttling its even better.

6. imlynxy, May 23, 2015

imlynxy macrumors 65816

Assime I buy 3 iphones 128 every 2 years for 399, with 2 year plan for 3 lines, total I pay 5233.13 before taxes. (69.99 plan + data+ unlimited sms - discount= monthly 168.17)
    With 130 dollar share plan it will be 130-24%(my discount)=98.8+45(access 3 lines)=143.8*24+[849*3]=5998.2
    old plan = 5233.13
    new plan =5998.2

Let's assume that it is "intelligent" to pay more nowdays, so you statement is true. Nothing personal here, just pure math and logic.

7. Applejuiced, May 23, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Well said, its funny how many of these people on mobile share plans think everyone else out there is overpaying or they're saving more than those on 2 year contracts.
    I guess we are all "not so intelligent" still on subsidized plans.

4 Lines with unlimited talk, text and 3 unlimited iphone data plans. 1 of the lines with regular flip phone with no data all for $163 a month with a fan discount.
    Full subsidies on all 4 lines.
    Try to beat that with mobile share and having to pay full price on all your phones;)

Same plan on mobile share 4 lines with a 15GB shared data plan $190 a month. 0 subsidies on those 4 lines.
    "not so intelligent" huh?

8. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Edit: I didn't read back far enough. I see you are on the 700 min plan with unlimited roll over. I thought you meant purely unlimited talk which is 49 per line. However is $163 before tax?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its technically 700 minutes but we have unlimited mobile to mobile calling also.
    And over 4000 rollover minutes so those minutes basicly count only against landline phone calls.
    We have a FAN discount for 25% off qualified charges.
    Yes, the $163 is before tax. After all taxes its $189.

10. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Got it. We have the exact same plan and discount but ours is $200 because we have 3 insurances at $6.99 instead of the 4th basic line you have for $9.99. About the same rollover minutes too lol.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Yep, pretty good deal and the 4 subsidies every 2 years are worth an additional $1800 so not too bad.

12. macher macrumors 65816

macher

People left unlimited not because of hard throttling. We have 4 UDP and stuck with them because of our data usage and liking 2 year contract upgrades.

----------

We have the 700 minute plan too but not only mobile to mobile but mobile to ANY mobile. If you have unlimited text you should have ANY mobile too.

13. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

Working at BBYM, I was told that AT&T and Sprint are both suppose to be doing this. Verizon is gonna keep offering the 2yr contracts, according to my Verizon rep. If you have the mobile share plan, with enough data to have a 15 dollar line fee...the Next and Edge plan are not bad. Also, right now on Sprint if you have the older Everything data 1500 plan or the my way plan, Sprint will give you a loyalty credit for 19 dollars if you lease the iPhone 6, 6+, Note 4, S5, S6, or S6 Edge. Its a 24 month lease tho.

The way it works is the lease fee for the iPhone (for example) is 20 dollars. Sprint will then give you a 19 dollar credit, thus making the phone a dollar a month.

If you wanna know the lease prices for the phones I mentioned above....they are as follows:

iPhone 6 16GB = $20
    iPhone 6+ 16GB = $25
    Note 4 = $25
    Galaxy S5 = $20
    Galaxy S6 32GB = $20
    Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB = $25

With the Sprint leasing plan, you don't pay anything up front...as long as your account is in good standing with Sprint. If there's an account issue, Sprint may require a down payment on the device. This Sprint loyalty credit thing is suppose to end at the end of June. Knowing Sprints history, I wouldnt be surprised if it gets extended.

14. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Good for you. I wish my situation would have worked out that way. We care for my 80y mil with dementia. My wife is constantly on the phone to doctors offices (ie land lines) for appointments and such. We blew through our 700 minutes every month very quickly and I had to fuss at my wife and daughter constantly to not use their voice minutes. Since neither seemed to be close to wifi when calls were needed, we couldn't use alternative options for the phone calls.
    If one does not need the voice minutes, unlimited was a great plan. I wish I could have kept at least one for me, but I don't have unlimited funds to fund the unlimited minutes. lol.

15. aneftp macrumors 601

Again. It's a backdoor way for ATT to increase profits. They are really trying to limit 3rd party promo like say when Costco offers iPhone 6 for $169 at launch time. Since we have no 3rd party dealers. ATT can monopolized the entire 2 year pricing. Make it unattractive.

Plus ATT can push more into mobile sharing plans. It's the final push to get customers off the $9.99 add a line flip phones/non smartphones/non data.

I have 8 year old nephew who just needs non smartphone for emergencies or quick texting. Don't need smartphone. I would just open line for him. Get the subsidized iPhone pricing for myself on that line and use iPhone for myself and delete data plan. The way i figure it. $9.99 x 24 months is like $240. ATT lets me have $400 subsidy for that add a line. That's been working well for me for the past 7 plus years with iPhones.

16. macher macrumors 65816

macher

We use Google Hangouts a lot which are free calls to landlines. Plus we have mobile to ANY mobile.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    That's what I meant also. We have the unlimited text that offers the unlimited calls to any carriers mobile phones.

18. currocj macrumors regular

Well, it appears that yesterday news broke that subsidized phones will not be available at third party outlets (Apple stores, Best Buy, etc) but only in select AT&T stores or AT&T online. Basically, they are slowing getting rid of the option, but it still exists.

I texted with an AT&T rep and they confirmed I still have my subsidized pricing every two years, online or at *some* AT&T stores.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I'm hearing that Verizon is doing this now as well, and really going further by just completely getting rid of contracts, and even earlier upgrades through their Edge program.

20. aneftp macrumors 601

I just fine it ridiculously marketing that att tries to hide the true price under Next these days. They list the 30 Monthy payment as the default next pricing. Pure gimmick. Gives Apple and others no reason to reduce prices of their phones.

Just waiting for att to introduce att next 36! And spread payments over 36 months with "upgrades/trade in at 24 months".

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Why would they want to reduce prices on phones? I don't think it's their goal. People pay for the phones one way or another, whether it's by buying them outright, financing them (Next), or by paying more per line on contract plans (at least using the current plans).

22. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Wise words! 100% agree with you.