Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
http://www.neowin.net/news/verizon-to-carry-the-apple-tablet

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10664179/1/exclusive-apple-tablet-headed-to-verizon.html

Rumor: Verizon to carry the Apple Tablet
By Andrew Lyle

TheStreet.com is reporting that the Apple Tablet will be sold by Verizon, when it releases in the spring / summer time frame. The discovery was founded when it was mentioned that the Apple Tablet wireless chip will be made by Qualcomm.

Qualcomm chips will help power the Verizon iPhone once AT&T’s exclusive contract is up, as their chips help power CDMA network phones, according to TheStreet.com. Qualcomm will be supplying the CDMA wireless chips for the Apple Tablet, meaning only Verizon or Sprint when it releases.

This will be Apple’s first time working with a new service provider, as it has always sold exclusively to AT&T in the past. Verizon could likely be the sole wireless provider for the Apple Tablet, providing it with much more 3G coverage than any other company in America can.

Apple’s unannounced tablet seems to be gathering attention from the media, when no official word has come directly from Apple itself. Apple is said to be unveiling the “Tablet” next week on January 27.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If Apple thinks that their iPhone users will add another wireless contract for the "tablet", they're fracking crazy. If a contract is required, I will not be buying one.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If Apple thinks that their iPhone users will add another wireless contract for the "tablet", they're fracking crazy. If a contract is required, I will not be buying one.

I probably won't be buying one anyways, but if a contract is required, I definitely won't be buying one either.

And it probably won't be $30/month. I bet a lot more, because there won't be a voice plan attached, it will likely be priced the same as data cards (I think they're around 50 or 60 a month, not sure though).

But, given the fact that CDMA is a dead technology and isn't used around the world, I don't even believe this in the first place. Why would Apple bother with CDMA if it's being phased out for LTE over the next couple years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.