Rumored Google Nexus 10 compared to iPad--what about apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Broadus, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I do not yet own a tablet (I have an iPhone 4S) and was about to order a refurbished iPad 3 (32GB) but was wondering about the rumored Google Nexus 10. The new Nexus 10 is supposed to have a great high-resolution screen, but I've read reviews of other high-resolution Android tablets (the Asus Infinity TF700, for instance) where the reviewer praised the tablet's screen but said there were too few Android apps to take advantage of it.

I realize most who are members here own an iPad if they own a tablet, but quite a few own Androids, too. So what about apps? Is Android still playing catch-up, or are there plenty of high-resolution Android apps worth of a screen such as is speculated to be on the Nexus 10?

2. mantan macrumors 68000

Just go to Google play and look around.

One salient point they made in the iPad Mini presentation is the lack of true tablet apps that are currently available for Android. Maybe that will change quickly in the near future...maybe not.

3. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

That's definitely the one big weakness/disadvantage Android has vs iOS. Hopefully it starts to improve soon and fast.

4. tann, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

tann macrumors 68000

The only way it'll improve is if people start both buying them AND downloading apps (especially paid ones) or if Google gives devs more incentives (if the user base isn't enough of one at the moment).

5. Powrie macrumors 6502

Windows 8 came out 2 days ago, and along with that is a whole slew of tablets like the iPad.

The new Windows 8 is in the same situation as google currently.

They need people to buy stuff from the app store to get things going.

6. M87 macrumors 65816

Android is definitely lacking in tablet apps, nevermind really high-res ones. And if you're used to Apple devices I'm afraid you might find yourself quite underwhelmed with Google's OS in general, I found Jelly Bean laggy in spite of "Project Butter". I think even a level-headed Android fan would tell you it isn't the best tablet OS. Unless you need some specific functionality the iPad doesn't offer or you want something at a lower price I just don't see a reason to consider anything other than an iPad at this point.

7. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

I have an android phone and I absolutely hate it. I've had a voicemail icon on my phone for 2 months now, even though I checked my voicemail and emptied it ages ago.

The OS has been nothing but problems for me.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

I am loving Android, especially after Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean is an improvement on that, and I have no complaints about the operating system. I think it compares well to iOS6, and there are a bunch of Android features that make it better, in my opinion.

The Android app store is full of great stuff, but it definitely lacks the depth that we have in iOS. For example, I've really only found one good PDF reader there, but in iOS I have at least three that I really like, and there are several more that I could certainly use as well.

Most of us probably only use a handful of apps on a regular basis, so the real question here is not how many apps there are, but how many that will fill your needs. On iOS you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to find something that will work for you, but Android takes a bit more digging sometimes.