Rumored iPhone 4.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yonmin, Jan 23, 2010.

1. yonmin macrumors newbie

With the yet to come iPhone 4.0, it appear that it most likely is a software update. Will there be a hardware change?

Cause I am thinking whether I should just wait for the release of 4.0 or buy a 3GS.

If its just an OS upgrade, then I will get 3GS
    If its include hardware change, I will get 4.0

Mind giving me some tips? If it will be hardware or software

2. JD92, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. Merkie macrumors 68020

iPhone OS 4.0
    iPhone 4G

Two different things. All major iPhones releases have been accompanied with a major software update so far (2G/1.0, 3G/2.0, 3GS/3.0, 4G/4.0?). There is no reason to doubt the arrival of the iPhone 4G this summer. As there is no reason to doubt iPhone OS 4.0.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Apple are constantly adding new partners in different countries, they're not going to stop their release cycle to not upset one of them. Vodafone and orange don't care if you have the 3gs or 4, it's what is available now. Nokia don't stop release cycles for any carrier, apple don't either.
    There will 99% sure be new hardware by june/july. Hopefully before, but certainly by then. Software can come out any time, but a major release is likely to come with new hardware.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They will do the same as last year and the year before release the os to devs then give it to us with the new iPhone release.

6. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

They'll most likely talk about the 4.0 OS on wednesday. This is exactly what happened last year.

4.0 OS will be revealed weds, with a developer release soon to come. Jailbreakers will get a hold of it soon after.

Regular users won't be able to upgrade to 4.0 until May/June/July time, which is when the new iPhone 4G will come out.

So to answer your question, neither the iPhone 4.0 or the OS 4.0 will come out weds. Only talk. You won't get your hands on either until June.

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Last time, I thought they came out with the newer upgrade shortly after the announcement, but the new phone (w/new software & options) later. A few LOooong months later.. I HATED that wait.

Cant remember exactly though. I could be confusing it with the time before.

8. redboxcar macrumors regular

redboxcar

Why is everyone calling it the 4G? Not saying it WON'T be called that, but everyone is saying it as if that's the name they already gave it. Did I miss something, or are people just being very matter-of-fact (like calling the original iPhone, 2G?)

9. brian4610 macrumors regular

Am i lame for wondering why they are releasing 4.0 (potentially) without having a developer's conference, or an SDK?

Aside from allowing apps to run in background and some other odds and ends, what else can they do without adding new hardware? Enough to warrant a new OS?

I sure hope this doesn't mean there won't be a new iphone in June/July, my 3G GPS is faulty and i spent $100 on Navigon and Tomtom (don't ask why i have them both, was denied repeatedly for a refund) and would like to use it before 2011!

10. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Because it's the 4th generation iPhone, hence the 4G. Just like the way people refer to iPods (iPod Nano 2G). However, since Apple called the 2nd iPhone the 3G, it can get confusing. The original iPhone is usually called 2G because it only used the 2G Edge network.

11. jason221 macrumors 6502

2G = EDGE network. 4G = 4th generation, in this case.

Edit: ah, someone ninja posted before me...

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually 2G isn't EDGE, 2.75G is.;)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but everyone calls it 2G.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Pretty sure

Wens we will know all we need to know for at least a day or two
    4 1/2 days :rolleyes:

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

EDGE may be GSM 2.75G, but it is commonly referred to as 2G (using the whole number). The iPhone EDGE is often called 2G for that reason.

UMTS/HSPA is called 3G, and that is why the iPhone 3G and 3GS were called that. Technically the iPhone 3G is a 2G iPhone, and the 3GS is the 3G iPhone. While you can called the next phone the 4G iPhone, it won't be an iPhone 4G, unless it includes LTE.

Calling it the iPhone 4.0 though is very logical though, with everything being X.X. The OS will likely be 4.0 as well, so both coinciding would be interesting.

TEG

16. azsprty macrumors 6502

there a rumor of Spiderman 4 coming out as well

17. tnisatard macrumors 6502

actually there will not be a spiderman 4, Sony is rebooting the franchise :D

18. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I don't think they'll release 4.0, they'll demo it and give the devs the beta and SDK, just like they've done the last two years. OS2.0 and 3.0 were both given a demo/beta in March, will full release in the summer.

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

and we can all look foward for non devs desperately scrambling around to try and get in on the developer pre release before the public release.
    again.

20. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

Is there a chance that they will announce OS4.0, showcase it, give it out to devs, but make the public release the same time as the new hardware?

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The most accelerated scenario is...

a) Dev release of OS 4.0 on Wednesday.
    b) Public release of 4.0 in June.
    c) New hardware 4th generation of iPhone in June.

22. JD92, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

vodafone needed to get it out fast after orange had announced it. their hand was pushed. if you followed the announcements, it was fairly obvious they were desperate to make it known they also had it, and soon. they couldn't afford to wait.
    it's also possible they aren't told any more than the general public about future hardware.

24. starcrossed macrumors regular

iPhone OS upgrades have only been made available to the public upon the release of a brand new iPhone model. OS upgrades have been available to all iPhone models every released, except with last years restrictions on the features available to certain models like MMS, Video, compass, etc. It would be almost certain that if you were eager to get a 3GS now, it would be similar to the next iPhone model with the exception of storage capacity, video/pic resolution, and slightly better performance.

25. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Well, they had already lost out on the Christmas market but still managed to get 50,000 pre-orders despite the phone already being out on O2 and Orange, so it seems there are a lot of people with some brand loyalty to Vodafone. If Vodafone had known a new iPhone was coming out at the beginning of February it seems they had little to lose from waiting. Plus, if they knew a new iPhone was coming, it wouldn't have made sense to do all the staff training, get all the ad campaigns going etc, for one model when it would all have to be done again less than a month later.

This seems extremely unlikely. The networks knew in advance that the 3GS was coming at least a few weeks before it was released, T-Mobile managed to leak it on their website if I remember correctly. Say they were kept in the dark about the hardware, Apple would at the very least tell them when the new models are coming out. Do you expect networks just start talking to Apple every year the day after WWDC about orders for the new phone, what materials to use in ad campaigns and staff training etc? This will all be sorted well in advance of any public announcements.