Rumored keyboard refresh still coming?

makzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
Germany
Now that the MacBook Air was refreshed with the „improved“ butterfly keyboard and True Tone, is the rumored new (scissor switch) keyboard still coming this year? Next year? Never?

What do you think?

makzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
Germany
I know that the rumors said it's coming late 2019.
However, these rumors came up before Apple announced the 2019 refresh.

Now I'm afraid that they won't do the keyboard refresh this year ...
It sounds a lot more reasonable that they will introduce only the new 16" MacBook Pro with a new keyboard later this year, but no new MacBook Air.

applemac25

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2018
Surely they'd be crazy to release a 'new' 2019 MBA then release one with a brand new keyboard? Crazier things have happened I suppose

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
My bet is that all 2020 MacBooks will get the scissor keyboard refresh (coupled with redesigns).

This year, who knows, maybe the rumoured 16" MacBook Pro will be the first to feature the new keyboard.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Not sure on this one. We already have 2019 mbas released so it doesn't make sense that they release another one a few months later. Maybe if they name it "late 2019 mba" it would make sense. Apple historically has done something similar before only for mbps, but never for mbas.

Even if they release one w/ scissor keyboards, it would not make me go out and buy another one. Wait for next year folks, arm mbas are coming w/ better performances and incredible battery life. I'd personally wait for 2nd gen arm mbas so that apple had time to work out kinks and quirks that 1st gens usually have.

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
If it gets released this year it will be on the rumored 16" MBP then later make its way down to other models as they get redesigns.

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Late 2019 or 2020 but it's definitely coming.
I can't imagine them doing it after "refreshing" the current model. I would be furious if I bought a brand new MacBook Air in July after a refresh and then a new one was launched less than 6 months later.
[doublepost=1563312002][/doublepost]
If it gets released this year it will be on the rumored 16" MBP then later make its way down to other models as they get redesigns.
Most likely I think you are on the right track.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
I don't think Apple would shoot themselves in the foot by releasing another version of the Air this year. My guess is, the update they just announced will be it till next year. But hide and watch: 2020 will be the year of all the big updates!