Rumored Siri Speaker in Production Ahead of Possible WWDC Debut

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's rumored Siri smart speaker, which is designed to compete with the Google Home and Amazon Echo, is already in production ahead of a prospective debut at the upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, reports Bloomberg.

Citing sources "familiar with the matter," Bloomberg says production has already started on the speaker, but it is not expected to be ready to ship until later in the year. Still, Apple could introduce the speaker at WWDC, which kicks off next Monday.

Despite rumors hinting at a touch screen, and comments from Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller questioning the usefulness of an AI-based speaker product without a screen, the upcoming Siri speaker will not feature a display.

[​IMG]
    A Siri speaker mockup with a "Mac Pro-like" concave design (Image via iFunnyVlogger)

Instead, Apple will differentiate its speaker from Amazon and Google offerings through deep integration with Apple products and superior sound quality, including virtual surround sound technology. The speaker is said to be louder and "reproduce sound more crisply" than the Home and the Echo, and it could also include sensors for measuring a room's acoustics and adjusting audio levels automatically during use.

As with the Echo and the Home, Apple's speaker will likely support third-party services and apps, allowing it to perform a wide range of tasks. It will also serve as a HomeKit hub.
    Inventec, the company that manufactures Apple's AirPods, is said to be manufacturing the speaker, which has, as was previously reported, been tested in the homes of Apple employees for several months.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo previously said there was a greater than 50 percent chance the speaker would be introduced at WWDC, so we may get our first look at the device next week. Rumors have suggested it will feature a Mac Pro-like concave top with built-in controls and a "fat" body covered in speaker mesh.

Along with the Siri speaker, Apple may also introduce new 10.5 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models and new Macs at WWDC.

Article Link: Rumored Siri Speaker in Production Ahead of Possible WWDC Debut

2. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

Wonder if this will allow those of that like the idea of Sonos but won't buy one since its support is wishy washy for MY needs, a viable alternative.

And what happens if they come out with satellite speaker only (by Beats)

interesting times.

3. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

as usual, apple late to the product niche party but likely to do it better than most. at least if you're in the apple ecosystem already. if price is similar to echo or home, i could see myself picking one up.

4. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who thinks these things are useless? I mean, why would you not want to just raise your wrist and ask Siri something there? You have to be in the specific room to use one of these...

5. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Looks like they found a home for all those unused Mac Pro Housings.

6. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

7. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

I don't see how you can compare this to Sonos. Yes, to Echo and Google Home.

8. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

I don't even use Siri on a device I have literally ALWAYS with me because it's so frustrating to ask her anything. Even more senseless on Apple TV and Mac IMO.

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I think Apple will unveil it at WWDC alongside advancements in Siri and new APIs, and say that it's launching in autumn. This will give developers time to add support for it ahead of launch. Apple will again show it at the autumn iPhone event, maybe show something "extra" about it, and announce the pricing/release date info.

I tend to think that Apple will price something like this in the $99-149 range, and will want you to buy several for your house. I think such a device will also act as a mesh WiFi network, enabling better coverage throughout the home. This device will also act as a HomeKit hub, and having them scattered around the home will also increase range for bluetooth smart devices. It will also act as an AirPlay speaker, and it will be a good quality one. The secret announcement in September might be that these also act as wireless charging basestations, but that seems increasingly unlikely.

10. MallardDuck macrumors regular

It'll also be differentiated by using a brain-dead AI engine behind it. Siri isn't just behind, it's getting worse. Unfortunately that's been the story with Apple recently, neat hardware undermined by buggy, unstable, ill-designed software.

11. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Tim Cook's Apple is wandering aimlessly grasping at fads and buzzwords.

Anyone want to bet that MacMinis or Pro will even get a mention at WWDC?

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

13. shk718 macrumors 65816

based on Phil's comments I bet it connects to a TV to provide visual information either directly or using airplay via apple tv. Doesn't virtual surround sound require a long horizontal bar to bounce the sound from the back wall? And why would music need surround sound? I think this will be the new apple tv - i hope!!!

14. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Until Siri can understand the city name Yucaipa, I've zero patience for it. That city name is simply the bellwether I check from time to time to gauge whether they've improved the app. Google understands my voice (and that city) quite accurately.

I have great pronunciation but Siri simply doesn't understand me as clearly as Google. I REALLY wish it were otherwise.

15. GucciPiggy macrumors regular

GucciPiggy

If they don't improve Siri this product is basically DOA

16. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

Since neither you nor I have heard the apple speakers I guess neither of us can.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

If this does not come in at 199 or below, it's a shame. If they can truly position the speaker as so much better - then perhaps $249. But that's really pushing it for this type of tech when you can get Google Home, Amazon Echo/dot/etc for 199 or much less.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Why does someone have to ask for it? So..Apple can't expand beyond computers and iPhones?

Did Amazon ask others if anyone wanted the Echo? Did Google ask if they should have sold the Home? I'm not following your viewpoint on a company that manufactures electronic products, as Do the other competitors.

19. csurfr macrumors 65816

You are absolutely correct. I would drop my Sonos Play:1 in a heartbeat for this. ONLY because I would like to be able to AirPlay from my AppleTV. I honestly don't know why this functionality hasn't been added to the Sonos...

20. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Like the iPod? Or the iPhone? Or one of Apple’s other flops? Yeah.

21. mozumder macrumors 6502a

i could use a 17" 16:9 iPad with a stand and optional detachable keyboard for the nightstand, since it seems I use my current iPad pro more for TV/movie watching.

Something like this would sell millions, just as a small bedroom/night-stand TV device.

22. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Yes, exactly. Same with the iPod, iPad, Apple Watch, MacBook Air. Apple needs to focus ONLY on MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, MacPro, iPhone. That's it. No more gimmicks, for Jobs's sake.

23. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Sonos is an excellent platform that could sorely benefit from voice integration with a service of some sort ala Siri. “Siri, play Phish in my kitchen and living room.” Sonos excells at playing music with no noticible lag between devices / zones. Sonos also has more than just boxes with spekers. They have standalone amps, and players to connect to existing amps. That offers a lot of variety in configurations and use scenarios.

Then they would be more of a Sonos competor. Siri in a can, by itself? Not a chance. But even then, I’d prefer Sonos as a music playing appliance or gateway, that’s controlled by voice via a standardized platform, like Siri.

24. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

if this siri isn't more capable, then it will be completely worthless