Rumored weight of 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjet767, Sep 2, 2016.

1. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Following my own advise to many posters I have searched and read all the posts and news I can on MRs and can not find any suggestion on the weight of the redesigned rMBP. If anyone has seen anything could they please post it for us to read.

If the new 13" rMBP is light and thin enough I may sell my 2015 12" rMB for the extra power of the 13".

But Apple probably figured that out and won't market the rMBP near the portability of the 12".

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

It will be close - whenever it comes - if its comes :)

3. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I don't think rumours of this are easy to calculate considering that a lot of factors go into determining the weight, but I find it likely that this is going to be lighter than the 13" MacBook Air (though probably heavier than the 11"). I think something like 1.2 kg (~2.6 lbs) is a realistic expectation.

4. bjet767 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Wow if it's lighter than the current 13" Air it will be a buy.

Hopefully the rumored October 2016 will hold up.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I think your over estimating how light you can make a notebook. Thinner wont mean lighter by much. Batteries are still heavy, glass and the display still has considerable weight. You might save a little bit in the chassis. Its 3.48lbs now. Doubt they get it under 3.0lbs. Sure Dell has the XPS 9350 as a low as 2.7lbs, but with a 56 W h battery while Apple's is 75 W h.

6. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

3.0 is the magic number for me. We're all still waiting for a retina air. That is, 13.3" is the minimum for a true productivity computer that doesn't feel crazy clausterphobic and also has non-M processors and is still portable.
    The 3.0 pound air is the benchmark for weight for me. Nothing heavier than that for a take anywhere laptop.
    If the next mbp 13 hits 3.0, I might bite.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Rumors mean nothing.

The new MacBooks will weigh what they weigh.

Perhaps one, two or three ounces shaved off the weight of existing models.

We won't know until they're released...

8. huckg macrumors member

Since it's keeping the previous form factor with no wedge, which I'm happy about, then it will be extremely difficult to get it under 3 pounds.

My guess is there will have to be a radical advancement in battery tech to make this possible.

9. GZR macrumors regular

My guess is 1.4Kg compared to the 1.6Kg of the current machine, based on the leaked photos.

10. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Why not wait until tomorrow and see what is rather than wasting time on rumors?

11. geachy92 macrumors regular

Because Apple will probably not announce anything tomorrow and keep us waiting even longer :(

12. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Patience my young Padawan learner

13. geachy92 macrumors regular

I have zero issued with waiting, it's the not knowing that's killing me! They could announce that they'll get released in February and then at least I could make a decision!

14. jerryk macrumors 68040

Magic 8 balls says: it will weight less than the feathers from a Golden Goose.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

If they released specs for a Mac to be released months away, Mac sales would drop badly.