Rumors about Airport Extreme upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pubwvj, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I'm getting ready to order an Airport Extreme. I have one of the very old (original?) Airport base stations and would like to get something that is faster to work with our current Macs (g/n) as well as having the USB and Ethernet ports.

But, if Apple is soon going to release an upgrade I would hold off until then, no rush on my part.

Ideally I would like to have the audio jack for remote speakers and hope they'll be adding this to the Airport Extreme base station. I have an Airport Express but would rather not run two base stations in our tiny cottage.

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

What could they possibly upgrade on the extreme? I don't think we'll see dual band...

3. pubwvj thread starter macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I hope they'll add the audio out port that is on the Airport Express.

Longer range might another thing and an antenna port (which they used to have) would be another although I don't need these so they're not what I'm waiting or.

4. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

problem with longer range is its a 2 way system, just because you can see the AE doesn't mean you can connect to it if your antenna isn't strong enough for the return journey.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

If the Airport Extreme was able to operate in 2.4GHz and 5GHz I would purchase one today. Other than that I don't see there being any update in the foreseeable future.