Rumors of the MacBooks demise...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by altecXP, Feb 23, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

So how are you guys feeling about the rumors that the 13in Pro will start at $1099 and the MacBook will be going away?

Personally I'm a bit sad I was hoping to get one get one after the refresh. Guess we will learn tomorrow.

2. PM Smith macrumors newbie

County Armagh and Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Same here, I was planning on getting one soon also. I quite like the white MacBook, it's distinctive, but I wouldn't mind a higher res screen, like the 13in MBA. I have a feeling that the rumours of its demise are untrue, but then again what do I know. We'll find out soon enough.

3. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

I miss my black one. Good machine that was. Anyhow I can understand apple killing the macbook. Having three 13" machines is a little redundant. I'd also like to see a backlit keyboard across the whole laptop line. I have a white unibody now but after the refresh and when they finish shaking the bugs out of the new OS I'll be getting a 15" i5 pro.

Hey, do you think killing the white unibody will raise the resale value?

4. AshMan macrumors regular

I woould think it would be better to do 13" air and MacBook and only have 15" and 17" as pro

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's a computer and nothing more. Anyways I can't stand intel integrated graphics, I'd rather get a pc than be forced to have it running.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

No idea why people are getting hung up over intel's integral graphics. My 4.5 year Macbook uses GMA950 and it works fine for most applications. O.k. you can't really play games, but if games are your thing you probably wouldn't be getting a base level Macbook.

7. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Thats easy to answer. If an 900eur notebook in 2008 is still faster than the current macbooks (cpu and gpu wise) and the macbook costs 1000eur it's a little hard to swallow intel graphics.
    I would never buy an computer with integrated graphics for 1500 eur like the top of the line macbook costed in 2008. The only thing that I like about macbooks it's mac os x. If mac os x gets buggy apple gets nothing, only a bunch of hipsters.

Anyway aluminum is boring and gets damaged quite easy. I hope that my macbook lasts a long time.

8. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats part of the problem. For the cost of the $999 macbook you can get a laptop that even kicks the 15in MBP's ass in gaming. Many laptops in the 800-$999 range use the dedicated 5550/6550 GPU, even in 13in laptops that get 8+hrs of battery.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The white MacBook is too iconic for it to go away right now. Kinda like the iPod classic. wouldn't worry about it in the bear future. I bet apple makes tons of money on each white MacBook sold.

10. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

They always make a ton of money for each apple product sold lol

I think the macbook and ipod classic will be an collector items soon, but still they don't have any computer for the 1000$ range.