Rumoured early screen problems?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tragedies, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Just a quick question, for those who have experienced or know more of this matter.

I just bought a brand new iPod Touch off eBay. It came new and all, and I turned it on and put it to iTunes. This iPod, though, seems to have been bought in '07. Which, to me, isn't a problem since I have since opening it updated to 2.0.

It originally came with 1.2 and upon reading Wikipedia, I found out some 'early adapters' had screen problems. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about this issue, and if there are clear ways of finding out if my iPod (which, new, was originally purchased in '07) has this problem. Upon looking head on, it looks alright, but just curious and all.

Oh, and was this 'problem' ever fixed? For all I know, I may have had it, but updating to 2.0 fixed it.

Hope you guys can help a new Touch owner.

-mikey

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't had a single screen problem. :)

3. cjmal macrumors 6502

Yes, early iPod touch models had a screen problem where it would display blacks inversed. If you can't see it, don't worry about it. To my knowledge, the problem was never resolved. Some people reported that a firmware update fixed the problem, but having personally gone through 3 iPods and upgrading the firmware on all of them, they all still exhibited the problem. It's pretty a random thing to whether you got a good screen or not.

The problem looked similar to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

The screen problems were in the early production models (week 36-38) with firmware 1.1. The screen issues affected mainly iPods purchased in September and early October. The problems were, for the most part, fixed with firmware version 1.1.1 along with changes in quality control at the production sites. If your device was new running 1.1.2, it was definitely made after the problems were resolved as 1.1.2 was released in November 2007.

The 4th and 5th numbers in your serial number will show which production week it was manufactured in. If it's anything beyond 38, you should be fine.