Rumours of No GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/17455/

They say no GPS, same crappy 2.0Mp camera and nothing really new apart from apps.

If this is true apple will have a HUGE flop on its hands. Just hope this is the low end model. I won't get one either and just stick with my crappy Three plan.

Apple have got to keep up with the game. Nokia, RIM and others have GPS. This is a MUST have feature and the locate me is mickey mouse.

Seriously worried of BIG dissapointment.

2. LiveForever macrumors 6502

This could be the specs of the lower end iphone (Nano) .

Not everyone needs GPS and a better camera so why should everyone pay for features they don't want?

This could be the start of the iphone range.

3. stockcerts macrumors 65816

A higher megapixel camera isn't important to me, but I am hoping for a GPS. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi, which I really like. If the new iPhone has a decent GPS I'm going to give my daughter the Nuvi (she's a new driver).

4. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Ditto.

5. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

A better camera would be nice, but anyone who wants really hi-rez pics should have a standalone digital camera anyways with a real lens.

GPS would be very nice, but I wouldn't call it essential for most people.

3G and enterprise support are the two *essential* upgrades needed.

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Sounds about what I have been expecting.

As has been very well documented - the maximum resolution of camera that the chip which handles such things is 2Mp. Even the new version (that adds 3G support) most people are expecting Apple to use can only handle up to 2Mp (from the spec sheet). To get more they would have to switch/add components which would have a negative impact on size, power consumption, and cost.

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

You know what. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't include the GPS chip. I also won't be surprised if there's no front facing camera, no stereo bluetooth/a2dp, no 32GB capacity model (at least for now), and no multiple colors.

Apple has a policy of not releasing things unless they're absolutely sure it works. They also have an habit of purposely not including 'common' things, for reasons unknown.

But we'll see. Honestly, I expect to only see 3G, possibly a new case design, and remote possibility of different colors and bigger storage numbers. However, GPS/A2DP/kitchen sink? I doubt it.

8. moveteam macrumors member

But Apple had 18 monhs to "fix" the iPhone ;)

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The iPhone is a flagship product for Apple, and they can't afford to fall behind the competition. They've been hearing the suggestions and complaints of users for nearly a year now, and while they have addressed some of them via the SDK, there are plenty more that can only be solved on a hardware level. I can't see them playing conservative with this particular product.

10. istealth macrumors newbie

11. kleo macrumors regular

Say they add 3G, GPS and a 5MP camera. What do they add next year to entice you to buy the new one?

12. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

apple has always been about the shock factor and trying to be cutting edge. I don't think they will come out with 5mp camera but they would be stupid not to add the 3g and GPS... That alone would even entice those who already have an iphone to buy a new one. Maybe they will add more features to the 2.0 mp camera like a better lens faster capture, video, zoom an such like that. The point of this device was never to be a camera but a true "smart" phone. I think they will add all the features that are missing compared to other windows based phones.

This would make me want to buy another one and would keep things open for upgrade (like the camera) in the future.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There is an existing thread on this topic, please continue the discussion over here, thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.