Run 3D/2D apps and games on IOS Simulator without QE/CI?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jinjin12, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jinjin12 macrumors newbie

hello all, i am running snow leopard 10.6.7 on WMWARE and one of the biggest problems is that i do not have QE/CI. i can't run games or even some apps like preview or imovie. however, i am able to run Xcode and i recently downloaded the IOS SDK. i have a big question though, can i run 3D apps and 3D or 2D games on the IOS simulator without QE/CI? i did some searches that people said they were able to run the ios simulator without QE/CI but they were only talking about simple programs that uses a UI but no mention of intensive stuff that uses 3D or games. so the question remains, can i run 3d/2d games or apps on the IOS simulator without QE/CI? did anyone not have QE/CI and was able to do this? if so please tell me cause the only reason why i'm using a mac is to make 2d/3d IOS games. thanks alot

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

If you're using Mac hardware, why are you running Snow Leopard under VMware?

3. jinjin12 thread starter macrumors newbie

because i'm not using mac hardware? if i was, why would i bother putting snow leopard in a virtual machine.

i'm using snow leopard in WMWARE and my host OS is WINDOWS XP

4. lefooey macrumors member

Quartz Extreme and other hardware acceleration for Mac OS is not supported with the VMWare Tools in the VMWare Workstation or VMWare Player editions.

It's unlikely the drivers necessary will ever be made available, as running OS X under any host OS other than OS X is a violation of the licensing agreement.

5. jinjin12 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i'm well aware of that, which is why i even made this topic in the first place.

so can i run 3d/2d games or apps on the IOS simulator without QE/CI?

6. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

That's why asked the question. In your original post you said "if so please tell me cause the only reason why i'm using a mac is to make 2d/3d IOS game".

I don't know the answer to your question, because all my Macs have QE/CI.

7. jinjin12 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i am using a mac, a virtualized mac is still a mac. also how can you get confused when i clearly mentioned that i was using snow leopard on WMWARE.

8. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

You are not using a Mac. You are using Mac OS X on a PC. When I run Windows on my Mac, does it cease being a Mac? No. The term Mac refers to hardware.

9. jinjin12 thread starter macrumors newbie

w/ever you say man, i'm not going to waste time arguing with you. i just want an answer to my question.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Apparently not. ;)

Did you mean VMware?

11. thedollarhunter macrumors member

The iOS simulator should work in a VM but I think it is going to be painfully slow and then when you try and install dev profiles to a connected iPhone or iPad you are going to be in a world of pain!

I thought about doing this but decided it would be a waste of what little time I have to spare so I invested in a Mac Mini which is a wonderful little box.

If you have managed to install the Xcode SDK then just run an example project (glSprite is nice) and see if it works :D

12. jinjin12 thread starter macrumors newbie

are there any 3d examples i can run? cause a 2d spire don't mean much. i might work for simple 2d apps, but will the iso simulator able to simulate hardcore 3d apps that uses opengl?

13. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

In case you weren't aware of it when you develop targeting the simulator the code compiles to x86 code and iOS library calls to the Mac OS library equivalents which are also x86 code.

So, will it be fast enough? If anything it'll be too fast and will give a false sense of what's possible on the real iOS target device.

14. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think the iOS simulator uses the Mac's graphics card to accelerate the iOS's graphics. I think I remember reading that it uses the vector functions of the CPU. This may change in the future with OpenCL, especially with it coming to the iOS. But Apple says you have to test your code with a real iOS device before you release it on the App Store!

Also, do yourself a favor: save up for a Mac mini. It'll run faster than any emulator, especially if you get one with a dedicated GPU.

I thought that the iOS emulator had its own set of libraries, independent from the Mac OS X.

15. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

To me it looks like a simple translation layer.

16. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'd suggest getting a cheap Mac, a few years old, used on eBay. I'd imagine a machine adequate for development wouldn't cost more than $200.

Also, get yourself an iOS device for testing.