Run 5k new Watch app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by aleck, May 25, 2015.

1. aleck macrumors member

This was an intense month. I have never seen such a big gap between iOS simulator and actual device than the Apple Watch. Not even the first iPhone comes close.
    Re-written almost entirely, I have submitted new version to the App Store:

https://vimeo.com/128712047

It's a free update, as usual :)
    http://run5kiphoneapp.com

2. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I'm just curious, is this a "run/walk" program that works the non-runner up to a 5k (or 30 min)?

Does it use the vibration in the watch for when to walk, when to run?

I took up running 5 years ago and used this type of program w/my iPhone (which spoke in the background of my music when to run, when to walk). I highly recommend these programs in general for anyone that wants to take up running.

3. aleck thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it is.

It doesn't, as Apple currently does not allow access to any of the Watch sensors. I hope this will change with Watch OS 2.0 and I'll certainly add support for haptic feedback (and HR sensor as well) as soon as it's possible to do so.

I tried faking the haptic feedback using the local notifications but it's more annoying since it's indistinguishable from regular notifications. What's needed here is ability to define your own distinct haptics, like Apple does for navigation.

4. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Looks like a nice app. Having run outside with my Watch nearly every day since 4/28, one thing to consider is making the fonts bold (or thicker) and allowing the user an option to display white fonts only.

I find the Apple Workout fonts difficult to see in bright sunlight, though they're better when the system font is set to bold. Also, I've found the white text displays better in bright sunlight.

As an example, the Nike+ app is much easier to read than Apple's Workout app. Good luck!

5. aleck thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I agree very much. The final font size for the important bits (running data) is about 40% larger than what I originally intended :)
    It really makes a difference.

Not so sure about the all white text, as colors help distinguish which part you are looking at. But honestly I haven't tried when running, it's an interesting approach to check out, thanks for idea.