Run a proprietary OS in OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flybye, May 26, 2014.

1. Flybye macrumors regular

Hi all. My office will soon be sending me a bootable USB with some type of secure OS to boot into. I have no clue if it's some variant of Linux or windows.

What program like parallels will allow me to boot up from the USB, and not care about the type of os I'm trying to boot into. This while still running osx in the background.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Without knowing what’s on this flash drive and what format it is in or what is on it or even knowing what OS it even is, there is no way for us to answer that question without any accuracy whatsoever.

It’s possible for it to be virtualized, but you have told us very little for us to go on and without knowing something about what they plan to do, we cannot be sure.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All the virtualization apps (parallels/vmware/virtualbox) care about the type of OS to some degree. You'll have to create a VM and set boot order for the USB drive. All I can say is go for it and see if it works. The two major apps offer free trials and virtualbox is free

4. Flybye thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.

So my little secure network uses some GNU/Linux edition. I was able to get it running using Plop so that I can load up from the USB drive with Fusion, but I couldn't do so in VirtualBox.

I find it interesting that neither natively support booting from a USB drive. So in Plop with VirtualBox, I can get as far as selecting the USB drive, it loads for a few seconds then hangs. If anyone has any tips for it, please do share.

Fusion is only $60, but if I could save myself $60, even better. :)